HDTV and remote questions

SteevieO

I just had RCN install an HDTV box. It is a Motorola. Same box I had for the 5 days I had Comcast HDTV. The images on the HDTV channel are cropped on the sides. I am viewing on a Panasonic PT53WX52. When I change between aspect ratios it goes between 4:3, zoom, full, and just. All these settings enlarge the image to make 4:3 fill a 16:9 screen. Anyone have any idea on how to view a wide screen program without cropping?

Second question. I have the Atkis RC-8000 remote. Before you bash the remote it came with the Denon-4802 and between the Denon, the HDTV, and the Pioneer DV45 there is no money left for a better remote. As I read about these programable remotes it seems there are codes I can download. Can some one explain how and where I can do this? What I would like to do is program a macro on the remote to switch between inputs on the TV. i.e. I hit play DVD and it automatically switches the TV to component 2. Now I have to toggle between all 7 inputs.

Hi there,

I know that with my Sony sets if I receive a HD signal that is true HD it usually comes it and displays at 16X9 no matter what aspect ratio I have the sets at. As a matter of fact I can't adjust the aspect ratio of HD even if I wanted to. This goes for my new HD-VCR as well. I would think that your HD program either isn't true HD or it is HD that is 4X3 native. I assumed all HD came in and displayed at 16X9 but I guess I could be wrong. As for your remote, I also have one that came with my 5803 and I like it. It works well. I went to the manufacturers web site and downloaded software for backing up and programming there. Try searching the net, perhaps you'll find what your looking for. Sorry I couldn't be more precise.

Take care

Rick

You don't have to down load any codes. Just use the learning feture of the remote. I had mine learn the light code so the lights will turn off when watching a movie. As for the cropping are you changing the ratio in the tv? Because I think you have to do it in the HD box. If this is what you are doing then make sure the program is in wide screen. Make sure they are sending you a wide screen signal.

I also have the Motorola. It will have bars on side of non HD channels. At least they are black and not gray.

Can you turn off unused input channels? It saves scrolling. I have my cable box component output and DVD component output switched by by Yamaha. No degredation of video signal and I only need one remote.