La Scala woofer connection question

I'm getting things together for a La Scala assembly project and have been looking at the way the woofer is connected to the crossover through the top of the bass bin. In the 1977 La Scala there is a barrier strip on the floor of the horn enclosure to receive the spade lugged ended wires from the crossover. On the ceiling of the bass bin there is what looks like machine screw ends with nuts and washers to receive the spade lugged wires from the woofer.

Now the questions: Are La Scala's of all years of construction the same on this point? I'm supposing that instead of using wood screws to attach the barrier strip, that a machine screw is inserted through the top of the bass bin and then the the woofer leads attached to that, but that would require a jumper to connect with the top side. Aside from not duplicating the Klipsch factory method out of the honor of the thing, what are the downsides to simply running the wires through a drilled hole and sealing with silicon?

Appreciate any experience and thoughts shared.

DaddyDee

I can't think of anything wrong with just running the wire through a hole, but just for neatness and ease of connection, I might use a small terminal strip on each side and connect them with a jumper.

Bob

No jumper wire is needed. Those machine screws screw right into the spade connetor completing the circuit. This makes it easier to take the woofer out of the doghouse. You don't

have to desolder the woofer like you would have to if you used a single wire from the network to the woofer.

Sure you can drill a hole and caulk it once you run the wire through. I have done this at times when I'm feeling lazy or don't care to go buy a part that I don't have around the house. There might even be an advantage to this, because you are eliminating one more connection or splice.

I would be shy of using caulk to seal this. When that 15" woofer is moving to some great tunes, there is quite a bit of pressure inside that housing. I am sure that over a short time, the caulk would be blown loose, creating a leak. If the leak is just the right size, you could possibly get some really cool whistling from it!

Whistling indeed! Now that would make a great audiophile article.

I'm happy to say that they are all assembled now. On wiring the bass bin, just did the barrier strip like Klipsch. It works, and no whistling. 4.gif

Man oh Man, do they ever sound good! I'll need to post some pics when I have a chance.