Looks like 'General Questions' is long gone now...

lancestorm

----------------

On 5/26/2003 7:59:38 PM lynnm wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the demise of the General Questions area. On the one hand I miss it but on the other I do not miss the nastiness that was virtually pervasive at times. Lest anyone smell a bit of hypocricy here I freely admit to having gotten nasty ( particularly with ForrestHump) on occasion and take no pride in having allowed myself to be goaded into speaking in an ungentlemanly manner.

Would it be possible for General Questions to become a scrutinised area ? By that I mean that one of our members would become the moderator and would "vet" all posts before they were seen . I suggest that a member moderate rather than the webmaster because the webmaster surely has many other far more important duties and Klipsch LLC. hardly needs to spend money for him/her to babysit us. In any event the webmaster would have carte blanche to overule the "Moderator." One of the ground rules might be that in the event that Le Merde appears very likely to strike Les Blades Whirling in a major way it would be incumbent on the Moderator to consult with the webmaster via email.

Just a suggestion.

----------------

I agree. On other boards I frequent, it is some of our peers who are moderators. They come and go over time, but the administrators always seem to pick the best replacements. Also, over the years I've noticed that banning a username isn't very effective, but banning an IP is quite a deterrant. Something to think about.

That post was made with FULL knowledge of the fire to follow,imo.The progressive insults(not to me but others)were nothing short of unbelievable.As far as I know we are all free to choose any audio we want.I for one would not come here and tell anyone their speakers suck,they are racist,old etc....If I felt compelled (for some reason) to come and say I got different speakers, I think I would say, they're better for me/my equipment,NOT "mines better than yours".Also I DON'T support banning unless its the last resort after several warnings.I do support a warning in the thread,and if need be locking a thread.

----------------

On 5/26/2003 7:09:14 PM cluless wrote:

Food's initial post really had nothing inflammatory in it, other than the fact that he selected something other than the sacred Klipsch line. I'm sorry but If I ever find some brand of speaker other than Klipsch that is to my liking and within my budget, thats what I'm going to buy, and I've been a Klipsch owner for 18 years. Then when the name calling set in...all bets were off.

----------------

I had no problem with the fact that dude selected the Paradigms over the Klipsch. Heck, there was somebody else that went with the Onyx Rockets instead of the Klipsch, but they did not get into some big "mine is better and if you don't agree - you are all losers" type of battle. I am also with you, if I had found another brand that I felt was better for me than the Klipsch, than I would also select that brand. Heck, I still would not mind getting the rest of the Infinity speakers to match my RS2000.5 towers to setup a smaller HT down in my game room in the basement.

What I did have a problem was the way he came on - that whole "Mine is better and all of you that don't agree are losers" attitude. Yes, he did start out innocently enough and others posted "good for you - enjoy your speakers" type of posts. Somebody came on saying they tested the Paradigm along with the Klipsch and said the Klipsh was better. Other folks also posted saying the same thing, especially when he started posting the "Paradigms blows the Klipsch away" type posts. It was shortly after that that "food" started into the "zeolots" rantings (well, duh - this IS the Klipsch board). I posted myself that I went and listened to some Martin-Logans and thought the Klipsch was better. I also felt that both the Klipsch and the Martin-Logans were better than the Paradigms. He came back calling me a loser and that somehow I was "wrong" and that he was "right". As others on here countered him with thier own opinions as to why Klipsch was better than Paradigm - he just even got worse calling everybody else losers and uneducated. When people simply stated thier education in defense - he just bashed on that. He successfully manage to piss off just about every musician on here. When people stated they served in the military - that was when he responded with some big rant about the Iraq War. It was at that point when things really went sideways.

As about "Defending the Faith" - heck yea, I am going to defend my choice in speakers if some retard came on here and started bashing the name here, and then don't even backup his claims. As "fish" stated - that dude posted that the way he did knowing full well the fire that will result. There was no reason why he even had to post that. Again, like "fish" said - all he had to say was "I got the Paradigms instead of Klipsch because, to me, I liked the sound better". There was no need for the bashing. I respected his choice in speakers, and in fact I was glad he eventually found something that will make him happy, because I also think the Paradigms are nice speakers - but there is no way in hell they "blow away" the Klipsch.

I'll admit that I did get caught up in the heat of the moment. I tried to keep it civil and even tried to talk some sense into the guy - i.e., "it is just a friggan pair of speakers - no need for the name calling". But as you all can probably agree - I was probably just wasting my time and effort. As I look back, I should have just stayed out of it. Using my own words - In the end it is only just a friggan pair of speakers.