Cleaning Old Sansui G5700 receiver.

Bill H.

My ex gave me the old Sansui G5700 receiver and our old Pioneer PL 600 TT. She has had it for 7 years. It is covered in dust, and the unitS have been in a smokers house for over 20 years..........we purchaed them new in 1981 in Germany.

Before I even attempt to run it I want to throughly clean it inside and out...looking for help!! Where to buy a new Cartridge for the TT.

Well, I looked at old posts here concerning this, and went to Rat Shack, got some compressed air and some Scotts Liquid gold.

I blew out the cobwebs and dust, and polished the wood with the Scotts. I wiped every thing down, and used q tips on the knobs and buttons.

Hooked everything up and it is a beautiful old SS machine, 1981 Vintage-brought back from the dust............... all for 0 dollars.

Good deal, Bill.

Those are a couple of nice peices.

I should know, I have both.9.gif

Watch out for the power switch on the Sansui.

They have a tendency to crap out and replacement isn't easy.

That is of course, you can FIND a replacement.

If you start to notice an excessive amount of noise when you first turn it on or when you shut it down, then a good cleaning is in order.

I'm sure being in a smokers house, all the switches could probably use it.

I use a CRC lubricant on all switches, Pots and contacts.

Works like a charm.

If you don't feel up to the task of servicing it that way, then I suggest rotating the switches, bottons, knobs to their respective stops about 50 times with the power off.

This will usually allow any internal switch contacts to have a cleaner mating surface.

Pioneer turntables are cool.

(I'm a major Silver Pioneer fan) :)

That Pioneer turntable has a P mount headshell that you can mount almost any cartridge to.

IMO that's a nice feature.

Personally, I have a half dozen pre-mounted cartridges on Pionner headshells.

It's kinda interesting to "roll" cartridges.

Finding a replacement stylus should be easy.

Just look on various TT/Vinyl websites for links to dealers of stylus.

I'm sure you can find a relacement Pfanstiehl needle for what ever cartridge is on there.

Good luck and enjoy that classic equipment.

Regards,

John.

Since the smoke makes a film on parts, they tend to get almost gooey with the dust that then collects. You can also get aerosol cleaners for electronics (some are even okay for the environment). Then you pretty much just wash off the parts. You would be amazed at the crud that will come off. Blowing out with an air compressor will help dry off the chemicals. Care with the air, as too high a velocity can blow parts off the boards (really). Still, when you are done it will look like new inside.

Try these guys for different cleaners (Mouser carries their stuff, as well as other vendors):

http://www.techspray.com

Later,

Marvel