HK Citation 25 Preamp WITH McIntosh MC2125 Amp Question.

On my McIntosh MC2125 amplifier there is an 'Input Level' switch with the following choices: 0.75v and 2.5v

The output level (if I'm reading the manual correctly on the Citation 25) for the preamp is 'reference\maximum' of 1.0v\10.0v

What do I set the McIntosh amp at? 0.75v or 2.5v ?

I'm not sure what this means really but I want the best sound if this has anything to do with the quality or level of the sound sent from preamp to amp.

Unless I'm told differently would the lower the input mean less potential distortion?

Any input and clarification for this novice and audiophile in the making will be greatly appreciated and graciously accepted.

Regards,

Tony

I know several other will tune in and probably say let you ears decide... but as a starting point, I would tend to go with the 2.5V for two reasons (feel free to correct my logic on this):

1) the 2.5V is in the range which your preamp will feed it 1V to 10V

2) higher voltages usually mean less noise picked up by the interconnect... (higher voltage preamp outputs on car radios are a desirable feature)

but i don't think you'll harm it in either case, so you could always experiment...

Rob