advice

odiedarklord

The setting of this would be greatly affected by the speakers you are running as mains. In your case, you have SF-2's up front, which have dual 6.5" woofers- not the most powerful in the world, but put out some punchy, loud bass, as do my KG-2.5's. (also dual 6.5")

In general, for home theatre, it is recommended to crossover at the highest point with your receiver to block all potentially 'damaging' frequencies from hitting the mains, and instead being directed to the sub. For the most part, this is fine. I experimented with my sub settings, and am now sitting on 100Hz instead of 80Hz or 120Hz. Having it set higher allows the sub to get all the bass from music, which is sometimes a bit higher up in the spectrum. Very little music bass hits below 80Hz, though some does. In general, as long as the sub is crossed over somewhere 120Hz below, you are doing good, depending on what your mains can handle. For speakers like yours, 100Hz would be fine, and they would handle 80Hz just fine as well, as mine did. Having them playing full range would be bad, though. I would crossover somewhere.

I imagine the suggestion to set the crossover at its highest setting on the sub was so that it would not interfere with a pre-amp/receiver that is also doing crossover work. Only want one crossover in the chain, if possible. And, keep in mind that the higher the setting, the higher the frequency range that is being sent to the sub.

Be cautious of setting it above 80hz -- sounds above that range can be easily localized by your ears. Thus, if you set the crossover at 100hz or 120 hz, you may run the risk of re-steering an audio cue from where it is meant to hit you (the left front speaker, for example) to originating from an unwanted location (your sub tucked away to the far right).

Doug

I can't quite agree with Doug about localization. Admittedly, this more from theory than experiece with a sub. OTOH, I've fooled around with horn speakers at these frequencies.

It is darn difficult to localize these frequencies. The starting point of 70 Hz is very, very conservative as far as localization. Our ears are about one foot apart (even for the biggest head) and can't sense the phase.

It makes a lot of sense to keep bass frequencies away from the main speakers. This means it is good to set the crossover freq as high as you can. Let the sub do as much work as possible by setting the crossover as high as possible. It can do that work. The mains can't.

It seems that you have a misconception that setting the crossover higher is somehow cheating you out of full performance. Not so, assuming thing are set up right. It is poorly explained, so I don't want to seem even mildly critical.

There are a lot of odd things going on. For example, if you have a test CD with tones on it. Try playing tones in the range of 120 and/or 60 Hz (repeat track). As you walk around the room, you will find some spots where there is no sound to be heard at all. It is spooky.

Generally speaking, the sub in a corner, set to a high frequency, results in fewer of these nulls.

Gil