300b versus 2A3

Daddy Dee

I've been reading up on the Welborne Labs successors to the Laurel and Moondog amps. It's interesting in that there is an option for SS or tube rectification also. One thing the text states on the amps is that they will do a good job of providing the 300b or the 2A3 sound, whichever is preferred.

I have heard the 300b Laurels and thought they sounded good, but have not had the opportunity to compare. I'd appreciate hearing your take in terms of compare and contrast.

Thanks.

Dee

this is a topic endowed with almost relgious/mythical importance by SET fans. the chain is usually 300B, 2A3, 45...where one gets closer and closer the perfect SET magic. one also gets lower and lower output. it is said that these tubes all share SET family values, whatever that means (It varies from fan to fan). I have heard amps with these three types of tubes and would say it is true, if you like the SET sound the 45 does it best, followed by the 2A3 and...you get the idea. BUT a KEY factor is output power. you need to carefully asess your system to use the APPROPRIATE tube. a 300B is much more powerful (if one can use that word about a SET) than a 45, and depending on your speakers and music preferences one or all my not be ideal. the 300B has more balls the 45 more detail and transparancy...warm regards, tony

I am not in a position to provide comparison. I have a 2A3 based SET and have used the tube in traditional and parafeed output configurations. I prefer parafeed. The 2A3 is a very impressive output device .. just enough power which, for me maximizes it for my RF-7s.

leok

Tony,

Yep, the 45 is the third amp in their line and I'd been curious about that, too. I am supposing that the 2A3 or 45 would be good matches for La Scala. I've been listening to a 299b for a month or so and to my ears it is really sweet following my Haflers. Always had enjoyed them, but after getting La Scalas, they were just harsh and shrill.

Regards,

Dee

Leo,

Thanks for your note. I'm not familiar with the parafeed and trad. output options on the 2A3. Is that something that all 2A3's would have? What is the difference in how they work and how they sound. Also, the 2A3's? are they all about 4 WPC?

Regards,

Dee

Parafeed is a way to split the DC and AC tasks of a SET transformer and perform those tasks via an inductor or "choke" and a small output transformer respectively. The advantage is theoutput transformer can be VERY small (this is good for accuracy and detail) because it supports no DC current or resulting magnetic flux.

Look at some of the DIY parafeed circuits on the Magnequest web page.

A more standard SET transformer approach is very large and there are some sonic compromises in order to carry the large DC load.

Parafeed approach can be used with any SET tube. I think many, if not all of the Bottlehead kits are parafeed.

leok

I built the Paramour's, it was a rewarding and a fun project. Sound wise it has a dilicate intimacy to the mids, bottom end is well rounded and natural, as long as you listen at moderate levels. If you like your music at about 75db. and its not complex they will suite you fine. If you like to crank it up once in awhile and enjoy dynamics & headroom to boot, Push Pull would be more your flavor. IMHO