dumb reciever question

andre-k

Ok...here's a weird question. I have an onkyo tx-sr500, 300 bucks, 65 wpc. To all the people here with more expensive recievers, do you guys have to crank the volume to at least 50 to get good volume. For mine to be loud, im usually at 63 or so. I was wondering if even on better units, the volume is above half for it to be loud. Is this a normal thing, or is it just because my reciever is sorta entry level?

Well yes and no. It depends on what I'm listening to. Cd no 1/4 is loud enoguh. The radio no again 1/4 is loud enoguh. dobly digital 1/4 is good . DTS yes half way dobly digital es 3/4 DTS ES 3/4 again and in THX mode alittle higher than 3/4. I dont know if you would say that my reciver is middle- high end . It is a kenwood vr6070 100w x 6.1

James

Good question...on older units the tuning was mechanical. Generally, 75% of the power was being delivered when the volume control was at 11 oclock.The new digital volume controls are very diffent. For example my older Yamaha (105 watts/channel)unit is at about 75% at 11 oclock while the newer Denon (85 watts/channel)is only at about 50% at -5 (readout goes from -60 to +15). The point is that the new units like yours have a very skewed volume slope where most of the power is at the end of the adjustment. If you had 40 watts more per channel, you would not notice much difference in volume at the same settings with an Onkyo.However, a mere 2 db increase in the efficiency of your speakers would make a much bigger difference in volume.The newer volume setups take some getting used to but are better since they allow very small adjustments in volume and it is easer to remember -22 vs guessing at "about 10 oclock". The fact that each mfg biases their volume a little differently, confuses the power issue.

Tom67 makes some good observations, especially about newer digital volume level controls. I find that general TV viewing is comfortable at around -20 while DVDs with DTS encoding need to go up to about -10 (at least). This takes some getting used to and, especially, as Tom67 points out, volume of this nature goes up not in equal increments but in larger jumps the higher the volume is.