New plan for a DIY sub + PR question

fivelitermustang

Gonna do the plan for the Adire Monolith... just gotta order a couple of the PR15s.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Monolith.PDF

This box seems to be around ~9CF net.

The only difference with mine though is that I have only an AVA250...

The other question is what is better? PRs or ported? My buddy told me that ports are louder than PRs. If this is true then could you take the size down to around 7CF with a low port tune?

A port and a passive radiator do the exact same thing, just in different ways. The argument for usually is that a passive radiator allows for the equivalents of a large port but in a smaller box than an actual port could fit. The argument against is they don't have as good of a transient reponse as a port.

Lots of good info on PRs here:

http://www.stryke.com/prfaq.htm

IMO passive radiators are only usefull when you can't fit sufficient porting in the enclosure you want and cost isn't a major concern. This doesn't allow using a driver designed for large enclosures to be put in a small one however. If you were going to build a 9ft^3 enclosure with the Tempest using two PRs, just keep that size and use a piece of 6" PVC pipe and tune to 16-18hz. I've built this exact allignment and am very happy with it. But if you really want, just go and follow the vented Adire Allignment. It's just over 7ft^3, but I think it's a bit under ported with only a pair of 3" flared ports.

Large bass reflex Tempest don't need a lot of power. A 250W plate amp is lots of power.