Help with home theater setup?

yamahaboy

Hey i am a new person to the audio scene so please bear with me. I am sure i will have many dumb questions, but hopefully all of you can help me. I have a very large room that we just built and i am trying to make it into a home theater. The room is about 850 square feet with 13 foot vaulted ceilings. I was thinking about buying the Klipsch RS-3II speakers for my rear surrounds, the RC-3II center channel, and the RF-3II speakers for my main. I was also thinking about getting the KSW-15 subwoofer. I am looking at either a Yamaha RX-v1300 or a Denon AVR-1803 reciever. Do you think this set-up will have enough power for that large of a room, or will it sound bad? I am not really a big time music lover, so i am just getting this system for movies, video games and maybe a little bit of music. Thanks for your help!

well, i really dont want to spend over 2000 on speakers. I would rather keep it around 1250-1500. My parents arent willing to spend that much money for something they wont use very much anyways. You said it was sort of small for the area, what would you recommend for that large of a space.

850 square feet? That is bigger than my first apartment 6.gif. To really fill that much area up, you would probably need the RF-7s with RC-7 center along with an RSW-15 or SVS subwoofer. However, that would completely blow your less than $2000 budget.

In actuality, those RF-3II speakers are no slouch themselves. I had a complete Reference 3II setup before I traded everything in for the RF-7s, so I know what they can do. Are you dealing with a local dealer or are you planning on getting them on-line. If you are going through a local dealer, than check to see what kind of trade-in policy they have. It may be worth it to go ahead and get what you are planning on getting and actually try it out. If it turns out to not work for you, you may end-up deciding to spend the extra money on the RF-7s.

Of course, there is another alternative, if you want to deal with the used market. You can always attempt to track down some of the heritage class speakers through the usual used-market channels such as eBay. Something like the Cornwalls or LaScalas or heck, even K-horns would easily fill up a large room like that with sound. Unfortunatly, there are certain risks in dealing with the used market that you may not want to have to hassle with.

"I would rather keep it around 1250-1500." Dont be so cheap

In a room this BIG you at least have to max out near two grand for the speakers.Get at the very least a pair of RF3's,an RC3 center,RS3 sourrounds or if you get a great deal of two pairs of RF3's.

For sub I would get an HSU VTF2,inexpensive and performs damn well.

This combination would be under $2000 and perform well

Know you have to deal at the Klipsch dealer,DO NOT PAY RETAIL.I NEVER EEEEVER

PAY RETAIL.

Yamahaboy - Go used. It will blow away anything new you can find within your budget, and it's not that hard. Buy a new receiver -- see about getting the most recently discontinued model on clearance. It will probably have all that you need.

For speakers, look at used Klipsch Heresy or Forte speakers. With a room that size, you could easily get 5-6 of them. That would run about $1200.

Then, dig around and find an old amplifier/receiver (doesn't matter what features it has -- you're only interested in using it as an amp) -- get as much wattage as you can find, at least 100. Use it to power a SVS cyclinder series sub. Granted, with a room that size, the "entry" level cylinder series may not give you the punch of the more advanced models, but it will definitely make its presence known.

I think you should be able to do all that for close to $2000, including the new receiver!

JMO, of course.

Doug

well like i said i wont be using this setup a whole lot so theres no reason to spend a ton of money. Actually this system wont be used over that large of an area, it will have to cover an are 20 feet wide and 25 feet long. That will be the main viewing area. So will that system sound bad in the revised area? I will probably buy this online and i dont want used stuff.

I think you will probably be okay in a room that size. It is still a large room but the Rx-3's should handle it. In my old apartment, I had RF3's in a room that was about 15x25 with large openings on the side and back. In other words, not the most ideal HT room. Definate sound loss was apararent, but they could still fill the room if they had to. I lived on the 3rd floor, and I remember coming home from class when my roomate would be watching a DVD and I could hear it outside on the ground level. It's a good thing nobody lived directly below us at the time 9.gif