I want to buy a Plasma- Is this a good deal?

Ou8thisSN

----------------

On 6/6/2003 3:28:06 PM TauRus wrote:

Hey gyus, I do not know much about the quality benchmark on plazma screens from different manufacxturers, but I saw a 42" plazma by AKAI at Costco for under 3K. With Costco you are better off than with any manufacturing warranty - they take their stuff back even after extended use. No risk.

As far as picture quality, from all the plazmas I saw I preferred Fujitsu and Pioneer.

----------------

The day I buy AKAI home audio or video products is the day I need to be taken out back and shot.

Rubbish, friend. Pure rubbish.

the local best buy here has a ED Sampo, ED Samsung 42, HD Sony 1024 x 1024, Pioneer 533CMX, and Phillips HD 42. The general manager told me they are expanding to include 15 other models, and they also plan on eventually stocking the Klipsch Reference Series, or so he says.

When it comes to Philips, I've honestly never been impressed with their products, particularly their plasmas. They've never made anything that Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer and Panasonic couldn't outdo.

That $5,500 plasma is just one example. Contrast is too flat, the blacks are distinctively muddy grey. That 50" Pioneer that BB has blows it away IMO. But of course you'll pay considerably more for that better quality, but comparing the two, I'd say it's worth it.

i have seen three Pioneer 50"s in three different stores, in three different situations, and was never impressed as I was with the Panasonic, I dont know why. Its picture is quite good, possibly stunning, but I liked the panasonic picture better. Maybe its just the black frame instead of the grey frame.

When I rate plasmas, I don't grade the picture quality by how pretty or not the frame is. No offense, just talking about how I rate them. Anyway, the Pioneer 50" at BB has a silver frame, but one I saw another place across town has a wide obsidian black frame. Pretty, but again, the picture quality is most important. It delivers there too. Whatever model it is, it's one of the Pioneer Elite line.

i understand what you are talking about, but here's my take. I look at the whole unit becuause the total look of the unit affects me. It is a known fact that a black border provides a much better contrast than a grey border. This is why the grey border is a 4:3 aspect ratio is default (to eliminate screen burn) and people naturally prefer black. I have a couple of Sony TVs at our house, and the lastest one I got is the Wega, with the flat screen, and its grey border distracts from the picture, as opposed to the black borders from before. Thats why the new sony Wega's are going back to black borders. Thats why I dont like Pioneer's and apprently the new panasonics which are also grey. I also didnt want to pay an extra $2000 for the same TV under the Elite brand. Just my take...

----------------

On 6/7/2003 11:51:00 PM Marshal wrote:

When I rate plasmas, I don't grade the picture quality by how pretty or not the frame is. No offense, just talking about how I rate them. Anyway, the Pioneer 50" at BB has a silver frame, but one I saw another place across town has a wide obsidian black frame. Pretty, but again, the picture quality is most important. It delivers there too. Whatever model it is, it's one of the Pioneer Elite line.

----------------

Actually, the one they carry at BB is not an Elite. It costs a couple grand less than the Elite, too.

Try this: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

The Pioneer 503CMX (50") is the same as the Pro 1000 Elite but it requires a tuner board. Pioneer 5002 for about $225.00 (3rd party upgrade boards available from Auroura and Key-Digital). The same goes for thier 42" model.

The 503CMX and 5002 can be had for about $6300.00 on the web.

Most of this is a duplicate post.

Regards,

Mike

In talking about black v grey, I was talking about the actual exterior frame of the TV, not the borders on the inside surrounding the video. I meant the frame with the Pioneer(or otherwise)brand name on it.

And yes, I know that the one at BB is not the Elite. I just couldn't remember the name. Elite 1000 you say for the black bezel frame?

well, its here, and its wonderful. when watching HDTV, its unbelievable, even 1080i. After watching the back to the future DVD, I decided to spring for HBO for the summer, just for 2 channels of HDTV, but its so worth it. The quality is unbelievable. what sucks is that once you see HD, you just cant stand to watch other channels. I would upload some pictures but the problem is that my server's hd is broken and needs to be RMAed, while my laptop's firewire could work, but I realized that its the wrong connection wire. So it'll take at least two weeks before I can get some pictures up. I really dont want to give up this 42 inch in my room after the house gets built, I have got to get me one of these for myself...