Hamish's LaScala & sub picture

Myhamish

Here's one of the LaScala's sitting sideways on one of the subs. The subs are KEF B300's ( 12" ) in a custom crossbraced cabinet. I put the LaScala on it's side to keep the horns at ear level & haven't heard any real differences in vertical vs. horizontal dispersion. It's a very small room. I usually have Heresys in here. Thanks Klipsch. Hamish

post-12323-1381924775086_thumb.jpg

Hi, It's not a blend, it's a single malt.

Just kidding, I built 2 of the subs with KEF B300 drivers about 17 years ago ( before subs were cool ) to go with some kit KEF 104's. 12 years ago, I switched to Heresy's and have been using them with a Crown crossover and bottom end Crown amp with a stereo signal still going to both subs. I've always kept the speakers close to the subs to stay away from phasing concerns.

So from listening and experience, these are my conclusions. Heresys and LaScalas are both bass shy. They need some bottom end. However, the LaScalas can open older recordings and reveal stuff that was never there. Like the brush of a high hat or sharp attack on a snare. Vocals float in the room, unblurred by anything else. The added bottom end when not overdone makes it complete.

Thanks for the comment. Hamish

Hamish,

The horns "sideways" is no problem. That actually gives them greater dispersion side to side. There is a rare vintage version of the Cornwall, don't know the year of manufacture, that had the horns oriented in the same way.

Regards,

Dee