RS-X versus bookshelf or floor standing for surrounds

damonrpayne

I do not yet own Klipsch surround speakers. Does anyone have experience with both the RS- style and more traditional style speakers for surrounds? My main concern is that I believe according to Dolby/DTS the side and rear surround should be a directional sound source, or at least the sides for sure should. The documentation for the RS-7s says they create a "field" of sound, which to me means "directionless"

Any comments?

This issue is one of the great "holy wars" that seems to abrupt on here now and again. There are those that think (and I tend to agree with them for the most part) that the only way to do HT is the exact same full-range speaker, i.e., RF-7s, all the way around. There are those on the other side of the fence that think the Di-pole/WDST speakers are a must for the surround speakers with mono-poles at the front. Personaly, I copped out and got both types in my HT setup so that I can switch between the two depending on what I am listening to or watching (my reciever has that ability).

When it comes down to it - get what you think sounds best to you for the material you planning on listening/watching on your setup as well as what fits your budget and space. If you plan on watching a lot of concert DVDs or listening to alot of multi-channel music (SACD/DVD-Audio), than you may be better served by having the mono-pole speakers all the way around (if you can afford it and have the space - try to get the exact same speaker all the way around). If you plan on watching alot of TV and Movies - your call, your ears. Some folks prefere the monopoles (RF-* or RB-*) and others prefer the di-pole/WDST style (RS-*)

And the war rages on... 6.gif

The system I just replaced was Paradigm with Monitor 7's up front, CC-350 center, Atoms for side surrounds and ADP-150's for back surrounds. I was very happy with the sound of it. I replaced the Paradigms with RF-3II's up front, RC-3II center, RS-3II's for side surrounds and RB-15's for back surrounds. Again, I'm very happy with the way it sounds. I think the RS series is a good compromise between direct and dipole because it has a direct firing driver, but also angled tweeters to disperse the sound. The key, I think, is that they are all in phase, so it sounds like a direct speaker but with a large soundfield.