what do I do? (important decision....) help

tpg

OK, here are the choices:

1. Build S-5 tube amp kit (4x 11MS8 for 8WPC)

2. Buy 350W sub amp for current project

3. Build Class A solid state amp for headphones

4. Plan a tube amp for headphones with intention to build, but never do it (as has always been done)

Those are the choices... I have financial backing this time. lol

I have been craving tubes, and really am thinking now that I would rather have a tube amp for my speakers than headphones... they get loud, and I don't listen loudly through headphones- just at moderate levels. Speaker listening can get loud. 8WPC is PLENTY on my KG's. The 6L6 power amp was putting out 2VRMS.... under 8W i am sure.

So, I have more or less ruled out option 4. I wouldn't mind the Class A headphone amp.... if it will imrpove the sound drastically over what I have now. (OPA2132 and BUF634- sounds quite good)

The sub amp... I should get, but really, now that I have the money, I would rather spend it on something I REALLY want than what I need. Yes, backwards. But, I might be able to throw an amp together to power the sub for a while... unless I use the transformer for the headphone amp... (might have to- cannot sacrifice my bench power supply)

If it matters- I listen to headphones a lot, but if I had a tube power amp, I'd use that a lot too. I use headphones for night listening (9:00-2:00), and listen to speakers during the day. If I had a tube amp, it would probably see use from 9:00am until 7:00pm, give or take an hour or two.

Hmm, just had a thought.... before I spend $140 on that kit, I could have a ready made amp- I know Craig has offered the Knight many times... how good does it sound for the 'tube sound?'

Well, thanks all... I don't know what you can tell me from my confused post. Maybe that I am confused? lol