suggestions for DVD player

Danartdis

Ok I am thinking of upgrading DVD for a couple of reasons. Number one, I have never gotten the DTS to work on my JVC. Number two, I would like to get a player that supports all the different formats like SACD and DVDaudio and MP3 etc. Any suggestions for a guy on a budget?

You'll probably get a lot of opinions here. If $995 isn't a big deal and you don't mind rapid depreciation then the Denon 2900 seems like a great option.

If you want both SACD and DVD-A then you either buy the ELITE combo players or you bump up in price to the $995 list Denon 2900 and other $1k+ players knowing there will be improvements and price drops as in any new technology. For this reason I am tempted to stay in $400 or under price and just wait for features that cost more. I choose SACD for my HiRez MC sound experiments realizing I have 3,000 2-channel recordings and probably less than 10 HiRez within the next 12 months.

At the $500 price point I'd rather get the Phillips which only plays SACD (there is another DVD thread on this board recently where I copied some info on the Elite vs other players).

At around $300 I'd look at the Panny XP50, XP30, rp82 and even rp91 (not the newer models). NO SACD (and there seem to be more SACD titles and DVD-A...not that there are many of either).

Pioneer announced the DV-563a at CES in January, with a forecasted availability of "summer." It's not on the street yet, but has an MSRP of $270 and I hear OneCall is taking pre-orders for it at $180. Is an all-formats device, with both SACD and DVD-A. Haven't seen any specs on it yet, and who knows how good it will be and will it handle bass management, etc...

Doug

there is a simple rule to follow you get what you pay for the elites have the chroma bug, diagonal lines but they do sound good, the sony's in the under 300 range suck, lots of bells and whistles, all of them bad, the yammy 2300 outstanding, but hard to get, the denon 2900, also outstanding, everything it does it does well, no weak points. i spent last month auditioning and trading up and down, the sony sound quality however was very noticable, it made my cornwalls sound like a big boom box, it was only out of the box 1/2 hour12.gif

somebody help this guy out, i just remembered a few days ago there was a post with an address taking you to a site that reviewed about 20 different dvd players including a few dvd-a sacd players from 150.00 machines to krells, but i cant remember where, it really helped me in my search12.gif