Feeling jazzy.

Tony Boone

Went to a local independant record shop to order Getz/Gilberto on cd. Before I did just out of curiosity I browsed the jazz section to see what they had in stock.

Got to the 'M's and saw Hank Mobley's 'Soul Station' sitting there. On the cover it stated that the analog to digital transfers were done in 24 bit. I like high technically produced, quality cds so I bought it.

Listened to it in the car (have good auto audio) and while it isn't a style that I would have normally been inclined to own, there was a sense of being back in the 60s again. At least it's reminiscent of the 60s notwithstanding the fact that it was recorded in 1960. Not disappointed in buying it and sure I will enjoy listening to it through McIntosh\Klipsch audio.

Use to play trumpet in my earlier days. About 7 years. Saw some Chet Baker in the racks while at the store and was wondering what might be considered his best albums? They had one with both Getz and Baker in Stockholm but wasn't sure if it was a good one to buy since my cd budget is smaller than my desires.

So I'm feeling jazzy and would like one of you jazz critics to lead the way.

Thanks,

Tony B.

"Soul Station" is pure hard-bop and it's an unusual date for Mobley in that there aren't any other horns on the front line. I don't think Mobely ever sounded better or more sure of himself than here--this is real ALL-STAR group and he is totally in command--there's no question about who's leading here! Hank only recorded in a quartet setting a couple of times in his career and I think that's a shame--he was at his best in this format.

I think "Soul Station" is about as "1950's" a sound as I can imagine! If you want to hear Mobley in a 1960's vein, then look for "A Caddy for Daddy" or "The Turnaround," both on Blue Note (not sure of availability).

There was a long, long thread a few days ago about Chet Baker, do a search! But if you're looking for some great jazz trumpet, pick up a Lee Morgan album--try "Candy" or "Lee-Way," both on Blue Note.

Good luck!

----------------

On 6/13/2003 6:07:20 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I don't think Mobely ever sounded better or more sure of himself than here--

I think 'Soul Station' is about as 1950's a sound as I can imagine!

There was a long, long thread a few days ago about Chet Baker, do a search!

----------------

On track 4 now of Mobley through Klipsch\McIntosh. Great music! Great musicians!

I said 1960s because 'bebop' is a sound I associate with the 60s. I remember bebop playing in the background of many movies made during my childhood which for the most part was during the 60s.

Will do the search.

Thanks,

Tony B.

Soul Station was recorded in 1960.

A good interim set (while you search for all the cool original LPs) is Mosaic's "The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions", which was available on 180 gram vinyl as well as CD. Used vinyl sets sometimes come up on eBay etc. Gives you a good idea of the kinds of things you can look forward to when you put together the collection of mint originals and something to inspire your searching and competive bidding. An informative booklet comes with it. Although not to be "compared" with Mint originals, Mosaic sets aren't too shaby plus you get previously unissued takes if you dig that kind of thing.

Grab This Set While You Can

$25+ per disc would still be a steal. Overseas bidders will go as high as $50 per disc. This is nothing compared to what those originals will cost you, and it gives you something to listen to in the meantime, surely this great music is worth the price of a couple of NOS tubes.

{Mastered by Ron McMaster using 20-bit Super Bit Sampling} It runs in his family.

c&s