How do you get 5.1 out of Halo 2 trailer?

drvais

I have a ProMedia 5.1 setup, with an Audigy soundcard, and a DD 5.1. I can watch DVDs with Dolby Digital sound when I'm using PowerDVD. However, I cannot get any of the 5.1 audio demos on the M$ Windows Media 9 Series page (http://windowsmedia.com/9series/DemoCenter/AudioQuality.asp) to play back in 5.1 in Windows Media Player 9. The DD 5.1 just keeps saying that the audio is PCM (connected coaxially).

Perhaps this is being caused by a software issue? After all, everytime I restart my computer, I have to reselect "5.1 surround sound speakers" from the Advanced Audio Properties tab in the Tools, Devices, Speakers menu in Media Player, or else it defaults to Desktop speakers.

Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to playback the Halo 2 trailer in 5.1.

5.1 audio demo huh, exactly what format is that? try going to the "control panel", open "audioHQ", then "device controls". under "decoder" tab, pick "SPDIF passthrough", if that doesn't work trying screwing around with the sample rate. it could also be the setting in windows media player which I am not familiar with, good luck. by the way, mediasourse also plays 5.1 audio formats I think.

I've been able to playback the halo 2 trailer in 5.1 (both trailers are in 5.1 the new one and the pre release one FYI). Ok make sure your speakers settings under control panel are set to 5.1. The 5.1 signal isn't dolby its windows media, so thats why the DD5.1 won't detect it. Also you need to be running the windows media 9 player, earlier versions don't work in 5.1 even with the codec downloaded. You also might need to update your sound card drivers. In some cases older soundcards won't support it, I know the current Sound Blaster boards run 5.1 fine and with 24 bit audio.

If you get it working and want to see something really awesome. Pick up the new terminator 2 dvd. On the second disc it includes an ultra high quality windows media 9 version of the movie that has full 5.1 surround and 24 bit audio. Blew me away.