How about these Mark IV's?

kjohnsonhp

What do you think about these Dyanco Mark IV's? They are certainly great cosmetic condition. Their price--especially if you want to do more work to their electronics would be in the range of other options in modern gear. Are they a good value? Are they notably better than an updated ST-70?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3030402058&category=39783

They would be a improvement over a ST-70 because of the dedicated PS for each channel. How much I have no clue. But for that kind of money why bother just get a nice set of Mark III's which can run EL-34 , 6550 and KT-88's and a bunch of odd ball tubes to boot !

Craig

I loved my MkIVs and they are a step up from a ST-70. but these will need some caps swapped out, maybe some resistors and the selenium rectifer (which I think I see still there in the photos) to give their best effort. re: MkIIIs I cannot comment I have not heard them side to side with the MkIVs but I had always assumed that the MkIVs were one step higher in the dynaco evolutionary scale than the MkIIIs. The price seems a little high considering you will need to add some more to bring it up to max performance. totally rebuilt MkIVs go for $600-800...but it is a nicely kept example. my two cents. tony

Sunny,

I wrote a paragraph about the difference and decided to go research what the Mark IV is so deleted it.

Here is the paragraph I wrote and its confirmed and correct

Hate to rain on your parade but the Mark IV are not a step up from the Mark III the only step up from the Mark III is the Mark VI which runs 4 - 8417 output tubes per mono block for a total wattage of 120 watts not sure if this sounds better or not ? I believe they also released a KT-88 version. The Mark IV is nothing more then a mono block version ST-70 with dedicated power supplies per channel so it will handle transients better than a ST-70. The Iron on the Mark III is incredibly larger and capable of allot more current and voltage then the ST-70 or Mark IV.

I can not for the darned of me remember who sent me this CD full of Dynaco information but I have it all !! Manuals. schematics and brochures on everything they ever made.

Craig