Check out my new record cleaning machine...

robforst1

I was considering buying the VPI 16.5. However, before I spent $500, I thought I would try a DIY record cleaner.

Check out the attached picture. I 'customized' the end of a $25 shop vac that I bought at Home Depot. I cut a slit down the middle, plugged the end and attached felt to the sides. It seems to work pretty well. I do not know if the VPI would work any better.

I also made my own solution with 4 parts distilled water and 1 part 91% isopropyl.

Please post if you have tried something similar or have any suggestions on cleaning solution mixtures or my 'DIY Record Cleaning Machine'...

post-10394-13819248137816_thumb.jpg

You will not find a more staunch advocate of having REALLY CLEAN records than me! It's just that I can't imagine the shop-vac with the felt covered attatchment is doing a whole lot of good for your LPs!

Especially with the cleaning solution you are using.

My method has evolved over many years and this is what REALLY works! I know what I'm talking about because I've been doing this for a LONG LONG time. I am seriously considering making another upgrade--to a Loricaft RCM, but for now this is what works for me:

I scrub and vaccum both sides of the LP with Disc Doctor cleaning fluid and brushes--about 2 minutes per side. I repeat this step if the record was really grungy. I follow the Disc Doctor cleaning with another scrubbing--this time with a solution of distilled water, ethyl alcohol and a small about of Photoflo. Again, about 2 minutes per side and then another trip through the Nitty Gritty. I follow this with ANOTHER scrubbing with distilled water ONLY and then vacuum AGAIN. WHEW! That's about 10-15 minutes PER LP!! But I have to tell you, anything less is . . . well, LESS!

Allan,

That is a sweet process. I will keep it on file. But being a newbie to LP after years in hibernation I am not inclined to spend the time just yet.

Currently i use the standard VPI process but i was considering using a water rinse as a secondary operation.

VAC cleaning is an audible step up.