Older Time Life Jazz Sets - quality and/or Value???

boomac

I saw some older Time Life Jass sets (about 3-4 LPs per set & each set had a gray cover) and was wondering about the quality and/or value. Also saw a Smithsonian set featuring various artist form Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis. If anyone has knowledge of these items it would be great to hear from you.

I think they're probably a great way to sample different artists and styles, without paying the big bucks. So, big bang for those bucks. If you're paying thrift store prices, you can't go wrong. I picked up some CD sets titled "The Original Jazz Masters Series," that contain material from the Black Lion label, by many of the artists discussed gowingly on this board: Dexter Gordon, Teddy Wilson, Pee Wee Russell, Ben Webster, Monk, Miles, and they are available dirt cheap! Check out eBay, or Half.com, or even used on Amazon. There are five, five-disc sets in the series, and you can probably score all of them (25 discs!!) for under $100, probably more like $75!! Good stuff!!

fini