Philips 963sa dvd/sacd player

rowooo

I've read quite a few great things about this player, however I have read about some mechanical ticking on sacd playback. Does anyone have this player and just how loud is this ticking? The people at Philips says it's normal and is not audible during playback. I guess lots of sacd players have this noise. Any information would be appreciated.

I have the DVD963.

The servos are noisier than some (that's the "ticking" noise). Mine is in a cabinet, behind glass. However, I don't always close the glass door and have never found that the servo noise is a problem. I don't listen at loud levels and often listen at very soft levels.

I find the player's cd performance to be excellent (I've never heard better, but may have heard equal in a player with tube output. The DVD963 uses class A output amps, which I think is a big deal.

The SACD performance in great, but it's the only SACD player I've heard. My impression if SACD through the DVD963 is I can't hear the 963 or SACD format at all .. I just hear what was recorded. I think that's about as good an endorsement for a format as there can be.

leok

Well,

I returned to the 'audioscene' only a few months ago but I had a Denon which I thought sounded pretty good.

I play with RF3II's in front, RC3 and the sattelites of the Klipsch 2.1 in the back, no subwoofer for audio listening. Denon 2803 as main amplifier and Norh SE9 tube amplifier for audiolistening.

First : the bad

- it was very difficult to get a 963sa, delivery time was incredible.

- the response speed of the operations could be faster

For the rest: a superb player.

The Bass managment is very impressive and gives you a lot of freedom. Independed settings for video and sacd.

The upsampling for CD's works brilliantly - note that your amp must be able to handle 192kb/s if you want to hear this upsamplingrate via the digital connection, my 2803 can only go up to 96 kb/s but then you can always switch to the analog inputs.

Depending on the source material (off course), the audioquality is extremely good (I cannot really differentiate between the different components here - bar the amplifiers, the Denon has a stronger bass fundament and tube amplifier has somewhat more coherency in the sound (better depth)).

With some CD's I get an extremely wide soundstage - up to 180 degrees , which surprised me alot and made often get up and put my ear against the back sattelites as I thought they had to be playing, but they did not.

Note that this has probably more to do with the main speakers than anything else but still.

Same for the video quality (a visitor who brought a video CD said this week, gosh the picture of your TV is much better than mine, while we have actualy the same TV set but in a different enclosure. So I guess the 963 must do a better job than his player :-)

I'm very happy with it all and would buy the player definitly again.