New and tiny

My best suggestion for you is to go with a set of Klipsch Quintets. They're relatively cheap, and sound very good for a microsystem (they blow Bo$e out of the water). Pair that up with a Klipsch KSW-12 and you have yourself a pretty good system. Or if you wanted to wait for a little, Klipsch will soon be releasing a reference satellite (a better quality quintet) system. Pair that with the soon to be released SW-8 or 10 and you'll have an overall better system that might be worth the wait.

You know, you see so many pairs of Quintets on eBay, and you have for years, you'd think everyone who wants a pair would already have them. They're still a really hot item!

fini

You'll probably have to get the subwoofer separately. Also, if you can't get the Quintet center channel on Ebay (sometimes all 5 speakers are not sold together - only selling pairs of the regular speakers), you could buy another pair of Quintets and use one for a center channel and keep one for a spare, or buy the Klipsch SC-.5 center channel.

Doug

I have an old stereo Yamaha amp (rx-460) that allows two pairs of speakers.

How to hook up a third leg of a subwoofer? A friend at work said there would be a place to hook up a subwoofer, but there does not seem to be such a hook on the amp.

Thanks.

Overcooked,

If your from Muncie,IN -try Best Buy. Also on the same road; heading past the college is a small Strip Mall, with an audio shop the in the window, Klipsch???? Meant to stop in but haven't.....

I used the Quintets as my first system, and they are great for small rooms, and I concur with others, that a subwoofer, with the Quintets will be a good system.........good luck.

You have two different ways of hooking up most subs or sub/satellite systems.

If you have a pre-amp out from your receiver like the previous post mentioned... you can run that to the "line-level" input on the sub.

If you don't have that... most subs will accept speaker level inputs... which is basically running the left and right speaker outputs to the sub, and then plugging the left and right speakers into the special (high-pass) outputs on the subwoofer.

No problem in either case...

Rob

Thanks for the comment, Terry.

Thanks to the rest for the advice.

It looks like the ksw10 will take either line in or speaker in. I hope I can find one on ebay for <=$200.

I don't know whether to get a pair of quintets or a pair of sb1. There are plenty of both on ebay. I guess I will get whichever I can for <=$150/pr.

Thanks again, y'all

OC - Sounds like you're looking mostly for a 2-channel system, rather than for home theater use, yes? In that case, I'd go for the SB-1s in a heartbeat over the Quintets. They'll sound much better on music, and will also sound better if/when you make it into a HT setup.

Even if you don't go the HT route, as Gil McDermott has reminded us more than once, a HUGE improvement over your TV speakers is just to hook the TV/VCR audio into your receiver's AUX inputs and listen through the ol' stereo.

Doug