HK AVR525 problems

dblue

Has anyone else been having problems with their AVR 525?

I have had a ticket open on mine for a few months because it is not holding different crossover settings per input, and now this!!!

The remote sensor is all messed up. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I try to turn it up or down, it'll only go a few clicks at a time, not continuous. It's not my remotes either. I have 2 universals and the stock remote, and it's messed up with all of them. Anyone else having problems? Input will be appreciated. ;)

Also, I having a heck of a time getting a response from HK. My unit is registered and under warranty.

By having a ticket open, I mean that I have an unresolved issue with HK support that is still open. I have opened another over the sensor issue. The sensor issue is new, it functioned fine up untill last Saturday. Now it decides when it wants to work. Not what I'd expect from HK. Hopefully I have a lemon, and it can be replaced.

----------------

On 7/8/2003 1:19:19 PM dblue wrote:

The remote sensor is all messed up. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I try to turn it up or down, it'll only go a few clicks at a time, not continuous.

----------------

Do you happen to have a remote repeter in the room? I have one so that I can use my TiVo from other rooms, but I had to put a relay on it to shut it off while I was in the main room. It seems to pick up 'noise' from the radio side & puts it out as infrared noise (for lack of a better term). At times, none of my other remotes can overpower it.

Nope, no repeater. But funny thing is, it cleared up last night...

I have a feeling that the hot air inside the 525 mixed with the cold air from the AC and condensation formed on the sensor. It's the only thing I can think of, barring some kind of shaky circuitry. Hmmmm....

I had a 2802 before, and I can tell you that in terms of sound, the HK is a better receiver. The stereo mode on the HK smokes the sound of the Denon IMHO. For movies they sound about the same. Also, the bass management is better (music sounds better to me when crossing over the towers at a lower setting).

But you must remember, this is the second problem I've had with the 525. The first is a misprint in the manual, I believe. It states that the 525 will remember a different group of crossover settings for each input. This is false (or at least it didn't work on mine). All it remembers is the large/small settings. The Hz settings will be the same for each input.

The second problem is stated above. Another thing that kinds bugs me about it is that the digital inputs are off untill they start getting a signal. Which means you miss a fraction of a second at the beginnings of songs and DVD's. It's annoying, but I'll live with it, because the thing sounds so darn good. HK is replacing my unit, so if this one goes bad, I might just change my mind about HK. But for now, I love them.