DENT on MIDRANGE???

nicholtl

Oh no! I don't know if my cat did it or what, but I noticed that today there was a small, button sized dent on the black dustcap of an RF-7. Does this affect the sonic performance? I'm not sure if the dustcap is just for looks (the black dome in the middle of the gold midrange), or if it somehow contributes to the speaker? I'm very worried...

Shouldn't hurt the performance. Fixing it (for looks) is another matter.

Is it a paper dust cover? Something to try, at your own risk, I accept no resposibility, is to take some screen wire (window screen material), and place it over the end of a vacumm cleaner hose. Get it as close to the shape of the dust cover as you can, and then suck the dent out. The screen wire will keep you from pulling the whole thing off and totally ruining it. A vacumm cleaner hose with adjustable airflow would best the best, as you could increase the suction until it pull the dent out.

It is low tech and I have never tried it yet, but have heard this recommended before.

Marvel

I tried using a vacuum cleaner but it didn't work. The cones are paper I think, but they're quite rigid. As far as the looks are concerned, I'm not terribly bothered since I will use the grills now...but I'm still worried that the dustcaps somehow contribute to the sound dispersion or reflection or something more than simply, blocking dust. That even a tiny dent would somehow mess up the sound wave pattern?