After 6 hours of hand-polishing...

...I once again have virtually a mirror finish on the Horus chassis plate. With some nicks and scars from punching, drilling, and filing, I considered a number of possiblities to finish the aluminum. One trick I learned a long time ago involves treating the the metal in a lye and water bath -- for about 30 mins to an hour. The result is a silky satin finish, which can be neat! It just wouldn't match the rest of the chassis, though. The first time I did the lye and H20 thing, I let the punched chassis go so long it was reduced literally to a sheet of heavy weight aluminum foil! What a pain that was....

I thought of a brushed finish covered with clear lacquer, but didn't like that idea, either. So off to the auto store I went in a driving rain, and bought some 600, 1000, wet/dry sand paper and aluminum and silicone rubbing compound. 3 hours per plate cleaned them up pretty well. The one scratch that happened when I was punching the hole for the 2A3 socket is just noticeable, but hardly. The silicone in the rubbing compound really works in preventing smudges and so forth.

I took pictures in low-level light -- we had lots of clouds because of the nearby hurricane -- but I did the best I could. When the roll is full, I'll take them and have them put on a disk.

So the fun part finally begins tomorrow! All hardware will be mounted first, and then the wiring of the power supply and amplifier circuit. For those interested, I'll try to get pictures posted when all of this is done. I wish I had a digital camera so I could share with all of you as things go along. People have reported good things about Jeff's Horus, and I'm looking forward to getting them finished.

Erik