RP-5 or RF-3?

avaddict

What would be the better choice? They would be used 50/50 HT/Music. I have a Sony ES receiver and I'm replacing some defective Rp-3's. I had a pair of KLF 20's and LOVED the sound, I can't fit them in my room due to the fact they are not shielded and caused TV problems. Does anyone know what would be a closer match to the KLF 20's????

Sony STR 333ES

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

????? Mains

RC-3 Center

KSB1.1 Surrounds

ava, finicky me, for my main room i went from rp-3/rc-3, to rp-5, to rf-3 & a vel hgs-15 sub, then klf-30s w/ the vel hgs-18. i'm finally there (i hope Smile.gif).

the rp-5 are a great improvement over the rp-3 for the $, especially if you're space limited like me. (i had to put bucking magnets on all the klf drivers to stop the interference w/ my sony.

if u go w/ like rf-3 or klf you'll probably then want a

seperate sub too. so make sure you have the space for that.

i have the rf-3 in the back room mainly just for stereo

listening w/ no sub. they really sound great for that,

especially w/ a lil space between 'em.

if u already have an rc-3 for center, then maybe u might want to consider the rf-3 & one of those new klipsch rsw subs coming out in the next few months. u could do that for a bout the same $ as the rp-5.

just a hunch/suggestion though. good luck.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver(stereo power amp for rf-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

It's all a personal preference but I liked the sound of the RF-3's and a seperate sub much more than the sounf of the RP-5's. The sound just sounded clearer to me. Plus you have the advantage of being able to place the sub in different spots, such as a corner.

Have you listened to both?

I have the RF-3 on my HT/Music system. I like to listen to music very loud. These speakers are great. I recently compared them to my father's Heresy (about 10 years old) and they (in my opinion) sounded better.

I don't know if you have experienced this yet, but I had the Sony 333es and than I upgraded to the 444es. I was unhappy with the constant hiss. I also had problems with Sony's inconsistencies, having tired 2 333es before getting a functioning unit. Also, they ran extremely hot. The extremely effiecient Klipsch speakers (RF-3, RC-3) picked up every noise the Sony made. (crackling, hiss, and distortion.

If you can, I recomend listening the the RF-3 on the Sony as well as others like Denon and Yamaha. You may surprised at the difference in sound quality. Also, read the reviews for the Sony on Audio Review.com

I don't mean to discourage you. I was once in Sony heaven until my ears became picky. But again all this is personal preference and I heard that some of the Sony unit don't hiss, you just need to get lucky to find it.

I would recommend the RF3 with a seperate powered sub. I originally purchased the RP5 because I didn't think I had room for a seperate sub. When I got them (I waited over a month for them to come in) the sound just wasn't up to par. I thought for $2k (I paid $1500) these speakers should sound a lot better than this. The mid and sub were just working against each other. I had a lot of deep bass, but no mid bass. There was definitely something wrong in my setup with the room acoustics. So I took them back and instead got the RB5 and one KSW12. The sound is much, much better in the mid-bass region. The RB5 have the exact same drivers as the RP5 (minus the sub). The RF3 contain 2 mids, but they are slightly different (the resistance is different in the voice coils to account for 2 woofers and to be able to still be 8 ohms) than the RB5 and RP5.

What I like about the RB5 is that since they are bookshelf, you can get speaker stands, shelves, or whatever to place them at the correct height for listening. The RF3's are harder to place cause you can't really raise or lower their height. However, they are already pretty close to the optimum height. Also, the RB5 has a better finish on it, and may actually be made a little more sturdy. The RF3 is more efficient, so if you want to play a few db's louder, then that will help you out. I don't think the difference is that big of a deal, since you can just turn up your receiver a couple of clicks and get the same volume.

The only regret I have is not getting the KSW 15. I think it is actually a bigger jump from the KSW 12 than the KSW 12 is from the KSW 10. Its specs seem to indicate that it has a lot more output and spl. I am not too concerned, though, as I will probably end up with one of the new RSW subs (probably the 12) when they come out.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR 3801 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub

Monster Power Conditioner

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

One last thing I forgot to mention. I have a Denon receiver (3801), and it is by far the best piece of equipment I have owned. It received an excellent review in sound and vision. A lot of people were speculating on it's power ratings, but it blew most receivers in its class away. It actually produced a usable 95W X 5 all channels driven with only .3% THD. Into 2 channels it did 125W. More than enough, especially with these efficient Klipsch speakers. I can turn the volume to max, with the input muted (like the sat or dvd) and absolutely no hiss comes out of ANY of the speakers. It has a measurement of -75db for noise (in dolby digital), which is very close to theoretical perfection. In stereo it was even closer.

I personally feel that the Denon line of receivers are some of the finest receivers made. Obviously my opinion, but I have some nubmers to back it up!

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Denon AVR 3801 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub

Re Denon power ratings - I've been told by a dealer that sells Denon and some other Japanese brands that Denon is unique among the Asian manufacturers in that it rates its power output with all channels driven simultaneously where the other guys rate their channels one at a time. Hence a 1601 rated at a measly 60 WPC can whip another manufacturer rated at 80 WPC. Can anyone confirm or dispute that?

Doug

Actually, I think more of the manufacturers are going that route. I think Onkyo is also one of them. I think Yamaha still rates their receivers a little optimistically. For example, the RXV1000 is rated at 100 X 5 - Sound & Vision found it only had 78 X 5. The 3801, rated at 105 X 7 came up to 92 X 5 and 85 X 6. In all reality, the difference is only about 1 decibel, but it shows that the Denon power supply definitely has more reserves. It is also very unlikely that you would ever have the receiver driving all channels fully to that power - I know with Klipsch speakers I will never even be able to without going deaf. I think the way they rate them is that each channel is capable of 105W, and ideally it could deliver all of that at the same time - but I imagine the voltage from the wall outlet drops enough without a power conditioner that you could never hit it.

I have also noticed that the same manufacturers lower lines, do pretty well in the labs. For example, some of the Onkyo lower models are rated at like 70W X 5 - and they deliver 70W X 5 with all channels driven. And their 85 X 5 still delivers 70 X 5. I think they just inflate the numbers as the model numbers go up without actually changing the power supply. What I think the Denons have over everyone else is that they have almost no noise in all modes, and their distortion levels are always very low. This is the first step in our "prefect" sound that we are all looking for.

I have heard that Denon receivers are conservatively rated, and have a lot of headroom. Every Denon that Sound & Vision has tested in the lab has shown this.

I know I quote S & V a lot, but they are one of the only magazines that actually lists out all of the measurements.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Denon AVR 3801 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub