7.1 Sound in a Small Room

thdrought

I posted earlier on a similar question and needed a little more advice on my room setup. Basically, would it be advantagous to mount RB-3's on the back wall, inches behind the listeners ears, mount my RS-3 surrounds mid-room (which is about 3-4 feet in front of the listener) and the mains, RP-5's, at the front of the room, close to 10 feet in front. Would I gain anything from this setup, as compared to a 5.1 setup?

My room is 14 feet wide (back to front) and 20 feet long (side to side).

Thanks.

This message has been edited by thdrought on 05-14-2001 at 04:54 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Drought,

If you're using this setup for Home Theater use, wouldn't put the RB-3's real close to my listening position. If you are really "inches" from the rear surrounds, you might want to just stick with your 5.1 setup. You could try putting your RS-3's back there temporarily, to see if getting another pair would be advantageous, but I'm not sure the RB-3's would be good that close to you.

Just how close would they be?

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

I can appreciate the problem of geometry.

My best advice is to not put speakers, particularly surrounds, close to the listener. Please do get a long length of cheap wire and experiment with placement. When faced with a constraint on room geometry and decorating, be creative.

You might find that an oddball placement for a surround speaker, like under a coffee table, near the ceiling overhead, could work well enough in a compromise without being technically perfect.

Gil