km-6 users?...upgrades?

guitz

Hey I'm getting a nice pair of KM-6's...any owners of these care to share the details of how they sound in their setups? I know the specs are pretty impressive...98dB sensitivity...bass to 34hz....are there any available hardware upgrades like drivers or crossover parts, etc?...can't wait to set them up! I've developed a pretty good ear for music detail by monitoring thru a pro soundcard in my PC and Sony MDR-7506 professional headphones...I hope the Klipsch's can recreate the same level of smooth detail together with room filling power!...I hope to match each speaker with a Marantz 125 watt monoblock amp and probably a 5-7 year old Adcom preamp for starters, then add in some sort of DTS decoder/maybe receiver and finally a DVD player that does SACD's too...I'm hoping for a super hi fi audiophile quality sound with carefully selected, budget-but-still-great sounding components...can anyone relate?? lol

Hello-

I do not own any of the KM series, but do own KG series, and was looking to upgrade mine as well. (I have KG-2.5's)

Well, first things first, listen to them and see if you still feel that you need an upgrade. If you think you do, then open one up and have a look at the inside. When I opened one of mine up, I was very surprised. The acoustic damping foam was just rolled in, not form fitting to any side or corner. I didn't like this as it was sort of sloppy looking. Next, I didn't really like the crossover parts choice a lot (small inductors, electrolytic caps, small film caps)... The wiring also seemed sub-par to me, as it was only about 16 or 18 guage. I have not upgraded anything yet, but noted these things. To be honest, I don't know if I will ever upgrade, as they already do sound quite good. I am very pleased with the setup.

If you feel that you want to upgrade the xover units, then drop Trey an email. He can send you the schematics for the xover (that's how I got the one for my 2.5's).

thanks for the reply...Yea, it's very possible I may like the speaker right off and not need to do any upgrading, I just figured maybe in the years since the speaker was discontinued,they made improvements in the drivers or crossover components...what kind of receiver/preamp do you use?...I'm starting from scratch, thinking maybe I can get an audiophile quality components that are several years old for the crucial 2 channel ,music listening stuff and save a little $$ to boot....