Heresy II Tweaks???

Hey All,

Just got a pair of Heresy IIs and I'm already looking for ways to tweak 'em. Currently driving them with Quicksilver 8417 mono amps, Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 preamp, and HK 8550 cd changer. The setup works pretty nicely, but a touch too bright and sibilant. I'd like to wring some of the bugs out.

First off, what is the recommended positioning for these speakers. I've started with them about 8 feet apart, against the back wall and toed in. Any hints?

For example, I looked at the crossover and it looks like four blue film (?) capacitors, an electrolytic, a ferrite bobbin coil and an air-core coil. The coils both look pretty anemic. An upgraded crossover seems mandatory, but does anyone have a schematic?

How about damping the horns? Saw something about damping with modeling clay, but not sure what the specific sonic results are. Also, in mine, there is a single piece of acoustic foam in an upside-down u-shape behind the woofer. Would lining the inside of the cabinet with deflex or fiberglass help?

I have some long-term ideas bouncing around in my head too. For example, why not make a separate cabinet for the woofer and mount the horns on an open baffle on top?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Englert

I made a mod to my Heresy 1's, to improve low frequency response, as they sound more like a minimonitor than a loudspeaker with a good-sized woofer in my opinion. Used a JBL 123-A woofer (mine is actually a 2213, same driver).. might have to fiddle around with the tone control a little, but the LF response is much improved. Might sacrifice a little on power handling, but they get pretty damn loud and I haven't noticed any problems. As for where to get the 123 if you want to try that (the white cone/black dust cap looks cool as hell sitting in there!), I found mine on ebay.

I tried this with a Speakerlab W-1208R before, too, which was fantastic, but alas, the drivers were not mine and I had to give them back. Frown.gif Really authoritative though, they had major slam to them, no need for a subwoofer at all. Good luck finding 1208Rs though.