Cleaning w/ Compressed Air

Dome

I was just wondering if I run any risk of damaging my Rx-3II woofers/tweets using compressed air to clean the dust, etc. off of them. By compressed air, I mean that stuff that comes in a can from Best Buy or whereever. If so, what would you recommend as a method for dusting speakers?

Adam

I'd say there are two things to worry about, but use of common sense may obviate them.

I note that when I use liquid air with a tube attached, the stream can cause quite a bit of cooling if applied close up. I suppose that could damage the finish, etc.

I'd be a little concerned about the horn and specifically the throat (small) end. There is a small chance that you're blowing dust in, rather than out. Any danger would be in proportion to the amount of dust.

Like I said, just being careful would probably eliminate these worries.

Gil

I actually posted a tip for cleaning your delicate cones and horn a long time ago. I too have reference speakers. For cleaning mine, I use pledge STATIC cleaning cloths ( not the spray furniture polish ! ) Swiffer also makes a dry static cleaning cloth. Either one will remove the dust/lint/hair buildup safely and effectively without scratching. Also, if you had used compressed air, you are not removing the dust, you are simply blowing it around to settle elsewhere.