RF25 system-RSW10 or RSW12

NikonosV

I recently purchased a set of RF-25's with matching surrounds to go with my Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX. I wanted to hold off on the sub-woofer but can wait no longer. My room is 12 x 14 and I am considering the RSW-12 but don't want to overpower the speakers. When I check the Klipsch web sight they suggest pairing these speakers with the new RW-10. Does that sub better match the speakers? Or, is it just a matter of price/performance. I plan to get the RSW 12 if it can be dialed into this system as I would rather have too much than not enough.

Will do, thanks. I am definately not an audiophile but I do know who to ask. Now I'm considering the SVS PB2. It's in a similar price range and looks like a better performer. Seems like the postings indicate the RSW-12 is more musical. Anyway, I will continue to ck the postings til I make up my mind. Looks like the SVS is backordered anyway.

SVS less "musical" I say its pure perception here.SVS,Sunfire,Aerial,Revel,HSU are more linear down deep and this sounds like a less musical sub because they lack the bass thump M&K,Klipsch RSW most "musical" subs have.

In fact the more linear,the more musical.The extra thump and lack of deep bass prowess sounds more musical to untrained ears,not my ears.But I like the thump(punch)myself.This is why I have deep digging subs as well as powerful punching subs. 1.gif

The best of both worlds is always ideal,a balance of sort.

Got the RSW-12 yesterday. Had to set my RF-25's to small to get it to kick in but works like a champ. Also, the autosetup function on my Pioneer Elite VSX47 set the sub too far away so I had to adjust that. Much fun plaiying with my new toys. So many sound formats and so little time!!!

Nikon,

Having the 49txi I have found the MCACC useful and no so useful.

It seems that if the MCACC senses a sub it sets the setting to -7 to -10. The program also set the fronts at -6 and center -4.

I may be sufferiing from reflections so I have been using the spl meter to set my levels. Here is an example of my results using MCACC vs SPL meter

MCACC SPL (Avia)

fronts -6 +1

center -4 +2

LS -2 +3

LR -3 +5

RS -3 +3

RR -3 +4

sub -10 +3

Until I can control the reflections the SPL reference will continue to be used. Also with the SPL settings the receiver doesn't seem to struggle, I am getting more sound at lower volumes -20 to -15 vice -8 to 0 using the MCACC settings.

Play until you are happy. My HT visitors asked if I added amps because the sound was more detailed, richer, and fuller. So for now I am sticking with the SPL results.

Nikonos and Scott,

I use Sound and Vision's disk (based on Avia) for essentially the same reasons. The one thing that I do not change on my 49TXi is the distance setting on my sub. The 49TXi seems to get better results there even though the actual distance is shorter.

Bill

Well I sure thought the auto set would work better but in reality I can set it by ear once I get close enough. Might go for the meter anyway-where can I pick one up? Other than that, I need to figure out the relationship between the DV-45A DVD player and the 47THX receiver. I need to read the manuals, I am not used to so many formats and don't know what is what. NEO-6?? Whatever happened to plain on Dolby Digital and DTS? Guess I am just used to my old receiver.....Just cranked up the MATRIX for the 50th but really the 1st time. Can't believe all the detail I missed for so long.

Nikonos,

Neo-6 is the DTS equivalent to Dolby Pro Logic II with a slightly different sound. Use which ever sounds best for 2 channel sources.

Radio Shack sells both analog and digital sound pressure level meters for reasonable prices. They are used by most HT enthusiasts.

The 49TXi sets better paramenters than the 49TX did. Pioneer is getting better over time, but until the DVD is in the system, it is difficult to set channel levels accurately IMO.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Have been tinkering still with my new RSW-12. I can't believe how good it is!! Finally have all the speakers set to large and set the sub to plus. What a difference. Makes me wonder what else can be done. Think it's time for a trip to Radio Shack for a meter.