7.1 Surround Sound

thdrought

I posted earlier on a similar question and needed a little more advice on my room setup.

My room is 14 feet wide (back to front) and 20 feet long (side to side). I want 7.1 sound w/o losing some view of my fireplace from the couch. (Yes, I live in San Diego. I know, I know, what do I need a fireplace for...)

Basically, would it be advantagous to mount RB-3's on the back wall, inches behind the listeners ears, mount my RS-3 surrounds mid-room (which is about 3-4 feet in front of the listener) and the mains, RP-5's, at the front of the room, close to 10 feet in front. Would I gain anything from this setup, as compared to a 5.1 setup?

Thanks.

I presume you have a preamp or receiver that decodes rear channel material from Dolby 5.1 or Dolby 5.1 EX or DTS 6.1 sources.The side surrounds should be to the side or slightly to the rear of the listener for best results.

Soon to have an Onkyo TX-DS989 w/ 7.1, 160 watts per channel, THX EX, DTS (releasing DTS ES upgrade via RS-232 port in January).

Since I have a small room, I want to get the max performance out of the receiver and speakers, but have not found much help with speaker placement with my room.

Any insight would be appreciated.

thdrought, how is the view of the fireplace when you place your mains on a short wall? I have similar room dimensions but am warped enough to prefer the everyday "sound view" of Klipsch array to the once-in-awhile romance of a woodfired crackle. Hmmm, maybe I really am getting older...

7.1 systems need a little space (or more importantly, a delay to allow the illusion of space) to be more dramatic. Also, positioning the speakers closer together in the front (and possibly wider apart in the rear) seem to enhance the HT illusion. Putting your system on the long wall may invite "sonic holes" that go over like a plastic fireplace.

Hmm, maybe you need a couch that rotates ninty degrees with your mood? Have fun. HornEd

------------------

"HornEd Herd"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Side Surround:

KLF 30 on KSW-12 L/R

Rear Effects:

KLF 10 L/R

Rear Center:

KLF 10 atop KSW-12

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... and counting!

OK, all SD firelight sagas aside... your question of 5.1 vs. 6-7.1 and side channel placement in front of the primary listening area deserve a more comprehensive response.

In my set up, there is a working area behind the primary listening area... which fairly closely approximates your side placement situation. IMHO, the effect created by sitting in the working area is that of a "sound tunnel" with some added sounds half way down the tunnel... and an up close and personal attention getter from the rear channel directly behind. While not altogether displeasing... it is far from the benefit of the primary listening area located about 12 feet from the mains. You, however, have the advantage in the wide dispersion area of the RS-3's compared to my "surround" KLF 30's.

Like the inner joy having your fireplace as part of your standard view, the sense of being enveloped by the action and/or music make the rear center channel (or dual rear channels) a huge plus.

Your best bet might be a ceiling mounted rear Klipsch speakers to get some vertical distance between your "ears" and your "rears." Rolleyes.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-17-2001 at 08:51 AM

HornEd

Are you actually using EIGHT speakers (not counting subs) to do 7.1? I was looking at your signature and was curious.

I too am using KLF30s as surrounds and really love their performance over a WDST speaker. Also, my surrounds are set wider apart then my front mains are. Again, couldn't be happier! I'd love to go with a pair of KLF30s for my rear effects but they would only be a few feet behind the listening area. I am using a Denon AVR5800 to power the system.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KG -3.5 rear effects

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Thanks HornED, for your response. I only use the fireplace 3 month out of the year, so I think I can do without while watching movies. I am going to shift my room. That will give me the space behind to mount my 2 rears, which I am going to mount on the ceiling.

For the romance... ...I'll just play a chick-flick (with THX) Smile.gif

7.1 = 2 mains, 1 center, 2 surrounds, 2 rears, and in my case, 2 subs. Sweet!

Well, ColaBear, you caught me in a phase shift of sorts. I, too, truly enjoy the sound of a KLF 30 doing its thing in concert with other KLF 30's. I now have two pair of KLF 30's and use them as mains and surrounds. Thus far, I have been dissappointed with WDST speakers I have tried... but I have yet to try the new RS-7's of which BobG has waxed ecstatic. Ideally, I think I would prefer a KLF 30 with a two extra horns to provide a 180 degree ambiant sound as program material would dictate. Having heard the KLF 30's in a surround position, everything else pales in comparison for discrete program matierial.

I also have three KLF 10's... that were bought due to the derth of 30's around here.

You should note that I am using a pair of SB-2's on 6 ft. columns spaced 3 ft. on either side of the mains as front effects speakers. They provide a wider sound stage tweaked to sound just behind that of the center channel and mains. This arrangement lends a great depth to the front array whether it be part of a grand spectacle or an intimate scene with ethereal music in the background.

In essence, I chose the SB-2's as the most Klipsch for the least weight that was not WDST. I would be happy if I could get the same effect with a WDST to augment the KLF 30 surrounds. I will try a pair of RS-7's as surrounds with the KLF 30's moved to the rear... but I have some doubts... as you probably do too.

If I can find another pair of 30's around here, I will likely reconfigure one 30 to be a full size center channel (my RPHD 65" can hold it and I expect that I would just orient the horns between the two woofers and see what it sounds like) and thus have an array of three 30's in front (plus the front effects) and three 30's in the rear.

I think, in this room, that I prefer 6.1 plus front effects... and that is eight Klipsch speakers... not including the four subs. With careful tweaking by positioning and SPL meter, this configuration really draws one into the heart of a well "sound designed" film... and really shines in one with quality musical content.

I use the extra two KLF 10's experimentally to bolster rear or surround channels with a separate amplifier. It is easier to design a sound environment with multiple speakers and time apportionment than to tear down walls and buy extra property to build on! Smile.gif~

Thanks ColaBear, it is good to hear from a fellow multiple KLF 30 kinda guy. Do you think the RF-7 is really going to give our 30's a run for our attention?

HornEd