78' Pioneer SX-980, still a good receiver these days

iambosch

A couple of months ago I got my father's 78' Pioneer SX-980 Stereo Receiver.

I restored my grandpa's old Loudpeakers; I don't know what model from Oklahoma Speakers they are but they are 3-way horn-loaded, 15' woofer, 7' mid, 1' dome tweeter; all put onto double-horn corner baffles.

The moment I heard the whole system working, I just got totally surprised.

I wouldn't ever thought that a 70's receiver and 50's loudspeakers would sound so thrilling. This Pioneer has got 100 watts per ch. with 0.05% distortion (virtually nothing), and the clarity and crisp sound from the dome tweeters can be compared to the Klipsch kli-30's tweeters, I've heard them.

The bass lacks in 'punch', these woofers sound good overall and response well down to 35 Hz aprox., nevertheless when it comes to high volumes the timber of the baffle begins to make unwanted noises.

I think that good sound is not always determined by technology. You see there are loads of modern Asian and American brands producing low-quality audio products; and the best 70's receiver can still beat some good home-theatres these days.

Glad to hear you're enjoying his old set up.

It's amazing how some of this old gear sounds.

Alot of vintage equipment puts newer gear to shame. IMO.

I'm a major "silver faced" Pioneer fan.

Most of their gear from the late 60's to the early 80's is well thought out and well built.

Though, i'm not particularly interested in the SX-x80 line of their gear, it's still very good stuff.

Enjoy your system.