Wait...are the RF series 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

nicholtl

"You have committed to multi-channel sound, and a move to tubes would be hideously expensive."

actually....a great way to get into tubes is to find a used 2 channel tube amp and run your mains on that......and then use a different amplifier for your center and surrounds.....

i'm using a dynaco sca-35 (17watts per channel) to power my KLF-30's and the internal amps on my pioneer elite receiver to power the center and surrounds (90 watts per channel).....

i get a much improved sound for two channel listening.....and the movies still sound great!!!!

a poor man's option..... the dynaco was purchased off of ebay for $150..... i replaced all the tubes and still had less than $250 into this sweet sounding amplifier......

dean,

thanks for the great links about tubes!!!!!

Seems a lot of people here have multiple preamps, processors and receivers. I just found a way to due immediate A/B/C comparisons with these using a dbx 400xG system controller. These were originally designed to link up equalizers, expanders, noise reduction units and the like. But, you can also hook up multiple preamps to them, then run the signal to your amps. You can easily connect 4, without risk of accidentally running 2 simultaneously (not sure if this would be a problem, but I wouldn't want to test that). Anyway, it really is great, and doesn't seem to add any noticable distortion. Anyway, right now I'm just comparing 3 solid state preamps, but when I have more time, I'll bring down the scott integrateds to see how they compare - true apples to apples. I'm sure many out here are already doing this, but its an inexpensive way to really test you system, especially if your looking to buy something - bring it home for a day and really do an A/B with what you already have. Me, I'm just playing!