75db seems too low for sub

I must be doing something wrong. I've had my SVS 16-46PC for a few weeks now. Been doing lots of "informal" testing. So far these have been my observations.

First, my equipment:

Front speakers: Klipschorns

Center: Klipsch KLF-C7

Surrounds: Klipsch KSP-S6 (I think that's the model number)

Subwoofer: SVS 16-46PC

AVR: Sony STR-D935 (110 WPC)

Plus a lot of other stuff of no importance, I guess

I tried two positions for the sub. Position 1 has the sub between my television and the right front speaker. The Khorns demand the two front corners. I do the test tone thingy with the Video Essential DVD. If I set everything to 75db at my primary listening zone, the sub amp is on 6, the receiver sub setting is at -10db, Xover bypass is off, Xover knob is at minimal (50 I think, not that it matters), Phase is set to 0. I also temporarily connected one of those X-10 remote switchers on the SVS 16-46PC so I could remotely turn off/on the sub from my listening position. First, I play a cd with good solid strong bass with the sub off. (En Vogue:EV3 tracks 1 & 7, if anyone really cares). The volume dial is exactly at the 9:00 position, a normal volume level for me. I listen for about 30 seconds, then I use the remote to turn the sub on. I hear absolutely no difference. None, nada, zilch. I would swear the sub is not even on. I go up to the sub, check the light in the back and feel it and yes, it is on and playing, but too low to detect from the listening spot approximately 12-14 from the fronts. I return to my listening position and repeat a few times. Same thing.

I repeat the whole thing. This time with the sub in the rear corner. I thought the walls would help resonant or enforce the bass. I have to raise the subs amp level to 7 to get 75db. Again, there is no difference between on vs. off at the listening spot. The sub has no impact with these settings and listening position.

Next I return it to position 1, max out the subs amp (10). This gives my a reading of 81db. I can barely notice the difference.

Finally, I change the receiver sub output to 0 instead of -10db. The sub amp is maxed out (10). This gives a reading of 89-90. Now all the things I've been reading about the SVS subs are apparent.

From all these I've come up with the following conclusions.

1)Either my Khorns are producing phenomenal bass all by themselves (which they do have a reputation for in an ideal room, which I don't have) My room is far from idea. It's nonrectangular, has vaulted ceilings, small hallway, opening to stairway etc. Nevertheless the Khorns have enough corner to produce bass that is wonderful to me. Can't imagine what they'd sound like in a good or perfect room. Spec sheet say they run down to 35 hertz. It could be that the bass in my sample music is well withing this range or something else, I don't know. It would be real easy for someone the just blame the room. I won't buy that.

2)Something is wrong with my equipment especially receiver. (Possible)

3)I am doing something wrong or have the wrong idea about reference levels etc.(Most likely)

It's like the way my sub perform at 89-90db is the way everyone else's sub is performing at 75db. I can't/don't/won't beleive my preference are so diffferent from everyone else. I'm pretty lost at this point. Any ideas.

This message has been edited by Workin' Stiff on 05-16-2001 at 04:00 PM

ws, i assume u meant the s6 are surrounds & the svs bypass is on (taking out it's crossover).

how is your bass management set up on the sony (i have the same)? if u have sub:yes & other speakers including the fronts set small, then for music it will send all the other speaker's lower bass to the sub out starting at a cut-off of i think 80hz.

i know it's painful to set the khorns as small but i'm testing that w/ my sys now using a Definitive PowerField 18" loaner until my Vel HGS-18 gets repaired. using fronts:small sounds better on music w/ this set-up because it's sending more low bass to the sub & allowing my klf-30 to shine brighter on the mid-bass on up since they're being relieved of that real low bass w/ the marantz (starting cut-off at 100hz). the bass seems louder w/ the klf-30 set to large but also more muddy & distorted because the klf & sub are overlapping/conflicting 2much.

maybe u tried the fronts:small but most folks (like me at first) would find doing this out of the question.

that's about the best thing i can offer-it should give u more sub output on music while taking some low bass away from the khorns(ouch). but klipsch are loud speakers which is why so many have trouble finding a sub that "can keep up" w/ them, especially for music which rarely/hardly gets much into that 1st octave.

accordingly, i'm finding it more to my liking for music

detail to just go to direct mode on my marantz which for cd(pcm or analog) sources only plays the fronts klf-30, w/ no sub but also no cut-off/bass managment.

when i get the vel back, i will find the way to get the sub to blend nicely on music, probably by using the 5-channel stereo mode. i refuse to let these receivers

w/ their set sub-cut off points beat me Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Boa12:

Thanxxx for pointing out the needed corrections, which I've made.

My fronts were set to large. Does seem ashame to set Khorns to small.

At 89-90db it is very impressive. I'm just worried that I am over working the subs amp, the receivers amp or pushing the system towards bottoming out or clipping.

I anxiously await more feedback espcially from Khorn owners with SVS sub(s).