Klipsch Smallhorns Info?

Hey Folks , Finally found this Forum, Looking in all the wrong places I guess !

Just was poking around and found out a Klipsch Smallhorn was built way back when . I can't seem to find out anything other than they did exist , long before I was born (50"s) but their life was shotlived . Can someone in this Great looking Forum fill me in on all the nasty details or where to find info concerning these puppies? This of course will only raise more questions on my behalf but it keeps the Forum lively and upbeat . Thanks Dan MacLean10.gif

I beleive what you are referring to are the Rebel (1949-58) & the ShortHorn 12 & 15 (1956-65). There were very few of these speakers made. They are sort of 'oddities'. PWK admits that they were 'mistakes'. I've seen them show up on Ebay once in a blue moon.

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9107-horn-circuit/Commercial/Klipsch-KLI/9107CMKLI-HIS.htm

http://www.klipsch.com/products/homeaudio/homeaudio.asp?cat=classic

I have some pics but my scanner isn't hooked up at the moment. They're shown in PWK's book/biography.

From the PWK book/biography, PWK said:

The name Rebel was chosen because the speaker-system design was revolt against conventional resonant box systems in 1949. That the writer was an adoptive southerner was admittedly an influence, and the double meaning is admittedly premeditated. The Rebels were designed to give the closest possible approach to Klipschorn performance at much lower prices and considerably less bulk and weight. Using the same principals of mirror images produced by wall at a corner as does the Klipschorn, they offered the maximum possible performance per cubic foot per dollars worth of horn and per driving element.

The original Rebel was a complicated and expensive thing. The Rebel III was an improvement over the original Rebel I, while also being simpler and less expensive to build. A smaller version of the Rebel III, approximately 32 inches high, was developed which as still capable of accommodating up to a 15 inch woofer drive unit and either two-or-three way separate or coaxial drive units. The Cabinart people (an exclusive manufacturer of the Klipsch-designed Rebel horns) of Brooklyn, NY, were licensed exclusively in 1953 under the design called Rebel IV. They took over the entire Rebel seriesRebel III, IV and V.

Early in 1954 a study was undertaken to see what could be done in the matter of very small speakers on the order of 20 to 24 inches high. The result was a corner-horn design called the Rebel V. Its aim was not make a cheap speaker but to make the best speaker that would be in the space.

Im not proud of the Rebel; as wrong as it was, it paved the way for the Cornwall.

The trouble with the Rebel was the horn loading of the rear port gave an efficient response from 75Hz to 150Hz. Then there was a big 10dB dip in the spectrum out to 1kHz where the mid took over. With the Cornwall, we were able to get a smooth response. The original Cornwall used a slot in the back like the Rebel for the bass reflex port.

Also try www.hifilit.com

Here you will find lots of information on many different speaker manufacturers and models. By clicking on the Klipsch logo and looking at the 1957 brochures, you will find pictures and technical information on the Shorthorns. I have heard that the Shorthorn was predecessor to the Cornwall, but i don't know about that. I have 1959 Shorthorn S.WO-15's and love them. They are great compliments to Klipschorns, and stand alone nicely, but don't go as low.

Welcome to the Forum,

Chris

Hey ,Thanks for all the speedy replies and info. I can now speak eloquently on the pros and cons of the "Shorthorn" not smallhorn as I had originally called it.

It would be an interesting project to make up folded horn enclosure using Heresy components. LaScalas and K-Horn are out of this world ,but the size alone is enough for me to back off any ideas of getting any. So I now know that Klipsch had the same notions some time ago .

Thanks again Dan 9.gif