Best placement for 7.1 rears?

johnsan

I've heard differing opinions on where to place the rear speakers in a 7.1 configuration and what speakers to use. One person told me to use bipoles and place them in the rear at 150 degrees from center front. Another person told me to use ceiling speakers and have them face down 150 degrees from center front. Does anyone know what Klipsch recommends? Or where I can find more information on this topic?

I will let you know...from MY experience (this doesn't mean jack sh!t to the purists....if there is such a thing as HT purists!LOL.) Have the rears somewhat behind you...3 feet or so at ear level or just above.... Place them just outside of your seating is by far the best. Sound recorded to be behind you, will sound behind you, and sound placements behind you and to the right or left respectively will be where they are supposed to be too. Thats why I love this positioning.

If you cant get this, spread it out up high facing down to the sweet spot on the wall facing you behind you as a second option.

I never liked in wall speakers fidelity wise, and again not quite the fidelity I doubt of your overall system.

I also feel sometimes like it is with what speakers to use...this is personal choice too. Some manufactuers require this or that position...and some systems made for this or that too. (look in your HT receiver booklet first, and see if you like their suggestions after trying them.) I would also always... I mean always... position the sub and center speakers near the center of the screen/room. People will argue that a good sub could literally be placed anywhere while technically semi true...I can always find it if it is off to the side it sounds very odd to me.

So here you are:1,2,3....

1) Left, main center,/ sub, right mains

2) Just in front of your sitting position 2 sides left and right/.

3) And behind you as I suggested.

AGAIN....just my 2 cents.. Hope this helps. I have a Denon 3802, and found in 7.1 sound, this is better than any theater I have ever been in at home.

I will chime in and tell you how I have mine setup. Not saying it's right or wrong just that it's the way I have it and I (in my forrest gump voice) like it au laut. 2.gif

I have a total of 11 speakers.

2 subs, one in each front corner

3 fonts (Left/Center/Right) just in front of my subs.

4 side surrounds. 2 aligned with front row of seats, 2 aligned with second row of seats

2 Rears sitting on a shelf behind but almost directly above the third row of seats.

Now with that, I have a riser floor and my speakers also are staggered in height to accomidate the rise in floor.

Sounds great man! I really need to update my website with some new pics and fix some spelling errors.

4.gif

I have my RS3 II's mounted 78" from floor to bottom of the speaker housing. I didn't go as low because they really stood out like sore thumbs when they were around 67" (I also placed them on stuff to simulate the various heights and noticed no difference from ear level up to 7')

I think the RS's are so wide you have some room to play with them.

As far as back/center back surrounds, I am still fighting over which to get.

RC3 II (if I can find one)-hard to mount above rear seating

RS3 II -not sure I will really tell a difference with 3 of these so close

I dunno, not to worried about it until 6.1/ES/EX is more mainstream DVD

Thanks for the response. I have my RS 3s at just under six feet from floor to bottom of spkr and they sound good to me. However, given the limited vertical dispersion of the horn tweeter, I was concerned that I was not getting sufficient high frequency at seating level with the speakers at their current height.1.gif