Pro-logic recycle?

avaddict

I read an article about a way to have 6.1 setup by using the rear pre outs from your dd receiver and feeding them to the front inputs of your old pro-logic receiver. You would then run the pro-logic receiver in phantom mode to get your rear center speaker! Hooking your rear speakers to the front and center speak outputs from the pro-logic of course! Anybody done this? If so let me know if it is worth the trouble to hook up! I don't know if the rear center adds all that much???!!!Confused.gifBiggrin.gif

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

Hughes DD Sat Receiver

Ava - I think SteveP on this board has done that, and I think you run it in Matrix mode, not Phantom (I believe Phantom assumes you do NOT actually have a center speaker and creates the illusion of one using the left/right speakers). He said it was great, at least until he got a 3801 with real 6.1.

What I don't understand is what's up with Pro Logic II? I'm having a hard time understanding what the benefit of it is over DD/DTS? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Doug

Thanks for the info Doug. I don't know about the Pro-logic II, but I'll keep my ears open.Biggrin.gif

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

Hughes DD Sat Receiver

I have had the Onkyo 696 with DPLII for a few weeks now. DPLII is not competeing with DD/DTS. But it gets very close with anything that you are listening to now that is encoded with DPL. That includes a lot of the old LD/VHS movies and it breaths new life into a lot of cable and satellite shows...think about how many of them are DPL.

av,it's worth the effort.Run the pro in "3-channel"if you have it or in pro-logic with the it's rear surrounds set to"none",hook your surround speakers to the pro'smain L&R and the new center or centers to the pro's center out.It will matrix the center surround.To set the levels run the test tones from the old pro and set the 3 speakers,then set it to 2 channel and set the levels on your 5.1 like you did when you got it.Should work.It is the way THX EX is derived and I could tell no difference.It works on non EX material,have watched a bunch of 5.1 material.How ever when watching non 5.1(pro-logic)switch the pro to 2 channel or all the surround will come from the"new"rear surround speakers.

I agree with SteveP... it is well worth the effort. Years ago when DPL was just surfacing, I piggybacked a pair of Yamaha's to create a surround and rear channel system for our 60 seat showroom theater. For its day, it was fabulous... in fact it "wowed" the audio experts from Hard Rock Cafe corporate (before it was sold to the Brits).

There is something special about making your own HT conglomeration rival the offerings of those who do it for a living... and, now, when we are in the middle of shifting recording techniques, assembling a matrixed surround/rear effects system does indeed breathe new life into "neo-classic" offerings. Frankly, many of the "new" 5.1 releases have been rushed through the process and would sound better through a piggybacked hybrid.

Currently, I hear all 5.1 as matrixed 6.1... and any actual 6.1 as actual 6.1... so my HT guests and I can attest to the value of a rear effects channel. It closes the "flap" on your sound "envelope" and creates a much greater "feel" of being in the center of the arena rather than looking down from the coliseum "cheap seats" or even the Imperial Box.

With a little tinkering, you will be amazed at what can be done. Remember, we are living in an age where the "latest and greatest" amp offerings are at best compromises... and usually are weaker in bass management... and "out-to-lunch" on keeping up with "discrete" and "ambient" side surround formats.

Like many others on this BB, I have reached out for the best I can find so many times that I have had a lot of discarded equipment to play with... and piggybacking old surround receivers can be especially rewarding. Particularly since adding speakers fed by "shaped" sound images provides an opportunity to reshape the perceived acoustics of a given HT environment. Enjoy! Biggrin.gif HornEd

------------------

"HornEd Herd"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Side Surround:

KLF 30 on KSW-12 L/R

Rear Effects:

KLF 10 L/R

Rear Center:

KLF 10 atop KSW-12

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... and counting!

Thanks for the input guys Biggrin.gif

I just bought a new a/v stand, now that I have the room needed to add more equipment I think I'm gonna' give that pro-logic recycle a try.

I'll let you know how it goes. Cool.gif

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

Hughes DD Sat Receiver

Well said HornEd.I also do 6.1 only,on pro stuff I use dts NEO:6 C,adds something to pro logic,not Dolby Pro II,but close enough for me.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

Question-Is there a difference between the Harman Kardons 5.1 Reproduction or the new Pro-logic II or did HK just beat Dolby to the point? Are they the same or does one differ from the other.. one better then the other? I only ask this because I have a Dish with 2ch outs and most broadcasts are 2ch out and I will stay with this 2ch out until tivo Sat's come down in cash.

Thanks again

JPK