Dodd Audio tube amps & TEXAS DIY 2003

kjohnsonhp

Anyone have an opinion on Dallas amp maker Dodd Audio?

http://www.gr-research.com/diyevents/dodd.htm

http://www.gr-research.com/dodd_amp.htm

Any interest DFW Hornheads in the Texas DIY 2003?

http://www.gr-research.com/diy2003.htm

I wonder how these small companies compare to something like the Audio Reseach SP16 preamp and VS55 amp which seems to be getting some good press and pushed by my local boutique.

OK, so I've been in touch with these guys and they say they should be able to provide a room with four matched speakers and amps for a demo of my 24/192 material. Their speakers don't look like hornhead stuff, but I presume they don't suck too bad. They certainly charge enough for them.

I assume the amps will be the Dodd's of this post.

It's the 16th and 17th of Oct and I plan to attend both days at this point.

Heck, it's easier to get to Wichita Falls from hear than Garland most days...

OTOH, when you get their, you are in Wichita Falls. I can say that, I did three years there including the one with the 5th largest tornado ever recorded and a summer with 65 days over 110.

Hope the AC is good and they have a big hole out back...

Dave

If they are going to demo your material on four GR Research Alpha Line Arrays then I would expect the sound to be outstanding. The Alpha's are around $5k built--less as a kit and are described as a bargain at that price. I've heard a lot of great feedback on these in making a realistic live sound.

I would like to go, too.

Had the date wrong. It's the 17th and 18th of Oct.

Ken: Well, I am going with open ears, but when I see little tiny boxes for 1200.00 and up I can't help but be a bit skeptical.

I shall certainly attempt to keep my mouth shut about PWK, etc.

They do make some really BIG arrays as well.

Dave

Darn! I was hoping you were going to hear the 7' line arrays...not the tiny boxes. I've heard their older model Paradox speakers which are similar in size to RFIII's...not too expensive but nothing to get excited about. I should be clear that it's the 7's ALPHA's that I want to hear.

I'm also excited to hear your FRAZIERS....the ultimate value speaker?

He (Danny Richie) didn't say what speakers I'd have access to. I was just commenting on what I saw in their catalog. From what I understand about the free flowing nature of the event, if the interest and demand is there they will move in whatever is necessary.

Yes. Fraziers are probably the most cost effective vintage speaker on the market. I try not to mention that very often, though I have my quota. Never know when a pair of "Things" or Model 11's might show up.

Dave

• 5 months later...