i need to 'splain somthin...

I spent an hour typing something out on this subject early this morning, only to have our server connection lost just before I posted it.

There are a few of you who had expressed concern over my evident haste in tackling and twisting the Moondogs into a completely different animal. The result, I think (and hope) would have been a product that was maybe a bit superior to the Moondogs in a number of ways. A couple of gentlemen who frequent this forum (you guys know who you are) made a much stronger case in order to convince me than those who simply came to the conclusion that it was 'stupid idea.' My intention behind the idea is outlined in another thread, so there isn't a need to get into here -- some could probably care less about the thoughts behind it, anyway! And that's fine.

The best argument came from an individual who gently explained that the Moondog is a well-known amplifier, whereas the one I would whip up out of the Moondogs former shell would just be another project from a weekend tube tinkerer -- which obviously fits my description perfectly. Despite the fact that I could have made the new amps (IMO) look and sound quite good, the connection with a DIY project can't be wiped away. We had a $600 vet bill yesterday, and so I can't sit around and experiment! Moreover, the Horus popularity has diminished a bit in recent weeks, which is a natural thing to have happened. At the same time, I am very interested in putting together a parallel feed amplifier with many of the Horus' features (which actually have a great deal in common with many of similar designs -- this one just happened to work very nicely)at a slightly more attractive price point. The IAG chassis looks so good, I think it would be worth it to use them for the less expensive parafeed design.

What I want to do with the Moondogs is this: I mentioned some of the epoxy problems, which will be completely eliminated by removing every single component from inside the chassis. All old (and new) glue will be removed, and I will completely rewire the amplifiers without the use of the large terminal boards. Terminal boards don't even need to be used in the best of cases, since the leads of the components themselves should ideally make the necessary connections. Moreover, I will build a much improved ground buss, which will consist of a heavy 14AWG wire. This is precisely what was used for the Horus, and I have used it many times in preamps I have made. It is also a very well known and used technique -- and better, in my opinion, than what is used on the stock Moondog. An SPG on the input jack (either BNC or RCA)will be connected to the input jack ground tab -- and will actually form the ground tab, itself.

Remember, this is with the intention of selling the Moondogs. The inside will look vastly different from a factory one, which should be a positive thing in this case. In effect, it will be wired very similarly to how we have seen the Horus put together in Jeff's great handiwork, and you can see how I did the wiring on mine in previous pages -- granted the quality of the photographs is terrible!

I would be happy to include any upgrades, including the addition of Teflon or at the very least ceramic sockets (which I would want before I would start any wiring). One could also choose from the great buffet of coupling capacitors now available, and I can offer some subjective opinions on those, too -- as well as sources to find them. I would want that the future owner order those parts and have them sent to my mailing address. I am not in a financial position to do that myself right now, or I would. I would also accept a deposit, which could then be used for upgrade parts. Black Gate power supply capacitors are simply fantastic, but would not be so necessary in the case that the new owner wanted to implement the W.E. (ahem....Ultrapath) connection. Another capacitor would be needed if that were the case, however. But the stock Moondog with a few upgrades in parts is a great amplifier -- and I will venture to say, based on experience with the Horus, perhaps slightly more weighty in the lower, mid-bass region (all totally subjective and open for debate, mind you!). But then again, I am bypassing both cathode resistors on the Moondogs, which might in part account for the difference. I will be doing the same thing on the Horus in the near future.

I will sell the Moondogs with new Sovtek 2A3s which, if you don't have a pair for whatever 2A3 amps you may be using, you should order a pair today, right now! They are a real bargain in terms of performance and cost; are built very ruggedly; can handle an appreciable amount of power; and just sound very balanced (to me) top to bottom.

I still have a brand new design in the works, and am working mainly on the input/driver stage circuit -- the rest will be fairly straightforward. As a couple of you had indicated in a sincerely appreciated and diplomatic fashion, the sale of entirely re-built Moondogs could help fund this next personally important project.

Everything inside comes out this weekend, and unless I hear from someone who has 16 ohm speakers, the OPTs will remain configured for an 8 ohm speaker load.

Does this hopefully sound more sensible?

Erik

Lordy, Erik, you don't need to 'splain nothing to me. You know what you are doing, and there is little doubt in my mind anything that passes your standard will make my ears sing like angels.

We've a lot of great and knowledgeable people on this list. You don't have to listen to everyone, regardless of their reputation. When you get into the lofty realms you and a few others here inhabit, your deliberations are likely to resemble those of the gods in Greek mythology.

Just do what you think is best...and build that amp as your own conscience dictates. I'd like to say here, "If you build it, they will come." Actually, I'd prefer to use a different spelling for "come." 3.gif

Dave