bass fluctuation

well, i think my promedia 4.1's kick ***! but, there are some times where i am ashamed to play them because the bass just isnt there. My sub is placed in the corner of the room, with plenty of ventilation. Its hooked to a Soundblaster Live! card. I have the speakers configured properly and the bass is at 85% on the soundcard, and all the way up on the Promedias. I know there is a limiter on the sub, but they are less than 1/4 of the way up, and the bass is really not present. My sub is warm, but not hot like many people have talked about. It seems like some days my ears bleed from the bass, but other days, i am just disappointed. For example, i play "Regulators" by Warren G on on day, and the monitor hops. Next day, im lucky if i even hear the "boom". Is there something i can do to make sound consistent? Is it the weather? what about placement? if anyone has suggestions on how to fix this annoyance, please post!! Smile.gif thank you!!

What you describe is the basic annoyances of room accoustics. In one part of the room you can get outstanding bass, in another part you wonder if you even have a sub. The best advice I have is to experiment.

In my bedroom, having a sub corner-loaded causes a "hole" in the middle of the room. Stand within a few feet from the wall, and there is plenty of bass. Stand in the middle - no bass. Of course, I have hard wood floors and sheetrock walls, allowing a lot of potential for reflection...and cancellation. Insulators such as carpet and curtains can help, and reflectors such as mirrors can worsen the effect. Just experiment with sub placement with this info in mine, and you should be able to get consistant results.

What you define as "bass" could be anywhere between 20hz and 150hz. A room could easily amplify a 50hz signal and cancel out a 100hz signal. So, a song with 50hz bass beats would sound much louder than one with 100hz beats. Experimenting with the sub position should lead to a better frequency response, meaning that a 100hz note and a 50hz note should be around the same db.

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy made a sound dispersment sheet for his home theatre system. perhaps this can help subwoofers too.

Supposing your speakers are near the walls of the room (and your computer in the center) put mirrors along the walls, and sitting in your usual position, pinpoint the location on the wall of the place where you can see the speakers. This is the reflection point.

What he did was took a large piece of cardboard, cut plastic soda bottles, stuffed them with insulation, glued/taped them to the cardboard, and painted it black for costhmetics purposes. This is designed to disperse the sound when it reaches that point, reflecting it to various locations around the room.

Hey, its worth a try!

Get a frequency sweep.. form 20Hz to 20kHz and play the lower part of it <20kHz just hurts.. just me> You will probably notice times when teh bass gets really loud.. and other when it is a lot lower. This is what Distec was talking about. My dorm room had a nice resonance frequency at around 70Hz.. the walls vibrated to the point I could hear the pipes in the bathroom shake. Every room will have a resonate frequency where it will love it and give you a lot.

crystal glass + resonate frequency = shattered glass

Tacoma Narrows Bridge + resonate = broken bridge

Your Room + resonate = priceless

20 to 20... thats a prety wide range

meen 20 to 200?

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias