Denon 3801 and quintets

oogins

Is it safe to use the quintets with the Denon 3801? I'm thinking about getting a new receiver and the 3801 appeals to me the most. However, I'm a bit skepical as I don't know if my quintets will be able to handle the power of the 105 watt output of the 3801. If anyone could please give me some info on this or maybe a suggestion of a different receiver that I could use. I don't really want to get new speakers because of the limited space in my apartment.

You'll be fine with the 3801 and the Quintets. The 3801 will provide plenty of clean power to the Quintets to handle most anything you throw at it. What fries speakers isn't usually too much power -- rather it is too much dirty sound (known as clipping) when the amp is asked to deliver more power than it has, causing a horrendous squeel to emit from your speakers, followed shortly by smoke and the smell of burning plastic Wink.gif

Just don't turn the volume up to ear-bleeding level and you'll probably be fine. I'm sure others can give you a more thorough explanation.

Doug

Do the Denon's really live up to all the hype in this MSB? It puzzles me because there are so many Denon fans but not many Harman Kardon fans such as myself. Would I be going wrong getting a HK instead of the Denon. The HK just seems like a much better build. The Power may be low although they claim their RMS has much higher bandwith..? but from what I understand the guts are top notch.

JPK

-Always Learnin'-