KG4 replacement woofers?

Soundthought

Hello all,

I'm searching for replacement options concerning the K-8-K woofers in my KG4s.

I know this has been discussed before, but i'm still fishing for answers.

The Klipsch OEM replacement is the K-6-K, I believe...

I'm under the impression that this would be a small step down. (spec wise)

Anyone have experience with these drivers or know of a suitable replacement for the K-8-K?

All insight is appreciated.

John

Hey Diggs, was there any noticable physical difference between the K-6-K and the K-8-K?

I've been wondering if the K-6-K was an "improved" version of the K-8-K.

From what i've read/heard, the K-8-K line had suspension related issues that caused pre-mature voice coil failure.

Don't know exactly how much truth there is to that, but it would be interesting to find out why they discontinued the K-8-K line.

Regards,

John

I didn't really compare the woofer magnets for size/weight, but the cone material felt a little more sturdy and is black instead of white. The surrounds (not sure what it's called, but where the cone meets the basket of the speaker) are convex rather than concave on the K-8-K. I'm at work now, but I'm pretty sure that's correct (haven't had the grills off in awhile either, I'll check to make sure tonight). If there's anything else you want to know, go ahead and ask and I'll try to answer.

As for premature failure, even though Klipsch denies it, there have been an awful lot of cases of K-8-K drivers failing, and one of mine failed and it was set to small and the bass setting flat at the time. It just up and started distorting one day. They may have been abused at one point, but the others are holding up just fine (One I admit blowing was my fault. Got a little carried away, but why not try and take them to the limits once in awhile? ).11.gif