Does the Cornwall produce the deepest Bass?

Of the various "Heritage" speakers (KlipscHorn, La Scala, Belle Klipsch, Heresy and Cornwall ) the Cornwall produces the deepest bass in most setups.

You can't really compare the Cornwall to the newer Klipsch lines (Reference Series and others) as they are based on very different designs - the Cornwall has the horn midrange and top end of the Klipshorn or La Scala, with a vented bass cabinet - actually the only vented, as opposed to ported, speaker that I know of.

You can compare the specs on frequency response under the Products tag, but keep in mind that what you measure and what you hear are not always closely related, particulary regarding bass response in room.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Thank you Ray, for saying the cornwalls are vented, they truley are, the only true vented speaker ive seen yet! As far as deep bass goes, each pair by themselves really produces some remarkable low end!

Both pair together, is even more unreal!

And also, i like the cornwalls better, than even the new line these days!

The specs on the older speakers, they claim the Forte goes as far as 32 DB, i would have to hear it for myself! If thats the case, then the fortes are deeper in the bass than the cornwalls!!

Regards Jim

From Old Klipsch Literature on the Cornwall: "...within the Klispsch line, only the Klipschorn offers a more extended bass response..." However, this is very old literature that may have come out before the Forte.

Here are the frequency responses I have from old product literature sheets:

Klipschorn: 35Hz-17kHz

Cornwall II: 38Hz-20kHz

La Scalla: 45Hz-17kHz

Heresy II: 50Hz-20kHz

KG4: 38Hz-20kHz

I do not have any literature sheets on the Forte. However, I do have a "standard" Klipsch owners manual that went with each model and it does say in there that "The Klipsch Forte provides a smooth, well-extended response down to a solid 32Hz." Could the Chorus/Chorus II go even lower???

I was getting all wired up to post, like, leventy-eight pages on this topic, but it's getting late so I'll just jot down a couple of notes... Wink.gif

Note the 1st: "...within the Klispsch line, only the Klipschorn offers a more extended bass response..." Well, yeah, they will, IN A PERFECT ROOM. In many room where you don't have full length walls to support the KHorn's final flare, you'll get more bass with Cornwalls.

Note the 2nd: Reading a spec like "32 Hz to 18 kHz, +3, -6 dB" won't tell you a lot about how the bass sounds. The KlipscHorn bass, even when perfectly placed in an ideal room, rolls off rapidly below 35 Hz. Just to pick on someone, Polk rates their RT1000i, with a powered 6.5 inch "subwoofer", as being down 3dB at 36Hz with useful response to 25Hz. Sounds like the bass goes deeper on the RT1000i that the KHorn. However, I absolutely guarentee you that anyone who hears a KHorn in full "OhMyGodWhatWasThat" mode playing, say, Mahler or Wagner or Primus or Metallica won't never, ever, ever confuse it with an RT1000i. The characteristics of the fully horn loaded bass are just totally different, and MUCH more, uh, MORE than little direct radiator cones. Even the ones on the other Klipsch speakers like the Forte, Chorus, various KG series, etc.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray:

I can not trully believe the bass response on the KG4s!

You know, that was an excellent design, same 38 HZ as my cornwalls!

Ive heard the forte, and i honestly think only the exact placement, would bring them down to 32hz!

My cornwalls anywhere, shake the house, the only time they didnt produce the bass, was when both pair were on, straight across from one another!

On the same wall, side by side, i run one pair, or the other, not both pair very often!

I just made riser bases for the second pair, out of 3/4 inch plywood, they didnt have any, so now they match the first pair, and sound more equal!

I just say, you own Klipsch, you own the best!!

Regards Jim

Following up on Ray's point...

A speaker's bass extension is only relavent with respect to that speakers overall sensitivity, and therefore it's overall tonality. The "quality" of bass is dependant on other parameters. A kg4 for example may be 3 dB down at 38 hz, but this is relative to a 94 dB sensitivity rating. On the other hand, the Cornwall is -3 dB at 38 Hz relative to 101 dB. This translate to a 7 dB difference in level, or about 5 times the efficiency (.8% versus about 4%).

Although bass extension has a direct relation to the perceived tonal character of the loudspeaker, it gives us no information about the quality of the low frequency information itself. While a more efficient design my appear to have the same, or less, bass extension, the quality of that bass in almost all cases will be far superior. So...while the kg4 and Cornwall may have the same low frequency cut-off, the Cornwall clearly comes out on top when the quality of the bass is factored in.

Kerry

Had kg4s 5.5s , gave the kg4s to a freind, sold the 5.5s and now have 4 cornwalls!

I modified the kg5.5s to remarkably sound very well with the cornwalls, the kg4s i couldnt even hear, and the cornwall was king to all!

The cornwall does produce the bass to the outside, instead of using a passive radiator, but i still like the kg4s, for what they are and can do!!

The rubber was cracking on the woofers, so i just turned them on to a freind!! He has 2 pairs of kg 4s now!

The specs on the forte, says 32HZ, dont know if its a misprint or not!!

Regards Jim

Amen, Brother Kerry and Brother Ray on that bass quality thing. I've always been amused at the ad copy for many of the "audiophile" mini-monitors sporting 5 to 7 inch woofers and proudly proclaiming bass extension down below 35hz. I always wanted to come back with, "Yeah, but at what spl and with how much distortion?" Clean, dynamically unfettered bass is a klipsch hallmark.

------------------

JDMcCall