Real Digital Cable

Aaron N

Hi Boa, I just upgraded to digital cable with a SAE box and have the coaxial digital output connected to the digital input on my Denon 3300. I'm getting digital reception on some of the program mostly Dolby Prologic, but I have gotten a Dolby Digital program on Showtime. However, all other broadcast sound really bad. I do not have the analog jacks of the box connected to my receiver. I not sure were these should be connected. My TV presently is connected to the DBS/TV jacks. If I want to connect the analog jacks to the receiver, where do I connect these?

Bill J.

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

mike, great sys. & u even have the SAE 2100! i may have to call to upgrade

cwm12.gif

& yea you're all digital sound capable for those dig channels. hook your SAE dig out to the dig in(coax) of your denon (i think that has at least 2 coax ins if u need it).

you'll need to assign that input on the denon to whatever device on the remote. i use tv.

& for in tv i just use the auto input mode mostly, though sometimes i'll change that to dolby or 5 channel stereo.

as long as it's a 5.1 sound broadcast, like showtime has for some movies, you'll get 5.1 digital output.

yet to see a DTS broadcast.

u can still hook the box up which ever way to the tv or vcr/tv so that you'll get sound out of the tv for the analog channels w/ the receiver turned off.

what i do is also run the twin analog plugs from the SAE audio outs to the vcr/tv audio ins, then run the variable audio outs of the tv to the tv analog inputs of my receiver. that way i get sound from the tv if by far chance the receiver is turned off & when the receiver is on the volume control of the tv will also control the volume output by the receiver. but u can only directly control digital input volume w/ the receiver volume control (well u can control the fixed audio level from the SAE in it's set-up functions).

works real well for me.

------------------

Bill James

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wj, u may want to try some of the other sound modes for

the non-5.1 digital broadcasts, like i use dolby a lot for those. some even prefer 5 channel stereo.

w/ the denon, actually u may want to set up the digital

cable under it's like dbs/cable & plug the boxes 2 analog audio outputs into those inputs for tv. then set up the tv as an analog source in the denon (& dbs/cable as a digital source to the corresponding coax jack).

then all u'll have to do is switch from tv to dbs/cable

input when u go from an analog station to a digital 1.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Boa, I think I follow you, but when you say set the TV up as an analog source which inputs jacks do I use to do this.

As I understand you:

SAE 2000 cable box audio out and video out to DBS/TV on the Denon

TV would go where on the Denon. I have no corresponding jacks left other than VCR 2

Thanks

quote:

wj, u may want to try some of the other sound modes for

the non-5.1 digital broadcasts, like i use dolby a lot for those. some even prefer 5 channel stereo.

w/ the denon, actually u may want to set up the digital

cable under it's like dbs/cable & plug the boxes 2 analog audio outputs into those inputs for tv. then set up the tv as an analog source in the denon (& dbs/cable as a digital source to the corresponding coax jack).

then all u'll have to do is switch from tv to dbs/cable

input when u go from an analog station to a digital 1.

w-jam, what i do is run the 2 analog audio outs to the vcr/tv audio ins, then run the tv variable audio outs to the receiver's 2 TV analog audio inputs. looks like your 3300 has one coax dig jack so my guess is u connected that to the digital audio out of your box & u should then assign that jack to the tv as long as your 3300 allows that. then hopefully your 3300 will auto receive whether it's a digital or analog signal or it has an analog/digital (a/d) switch under TV on the remote to allow u to choose (mine has that latter).

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Thanks Boa, I have the digital cable connected as you described. I do not have any connections between my VCR and the SAE 2000. My TV is connected to the DBS/TV on my receiver. I get digital playback just fine when it is available. However, a analog program sounds like it is in mono and coming out of the left speaker. I also here a swift to the center speaker occasionally. I have no controls on the remote that allows me to switch between digital and analog. The receiver is set to AUTO, so it does this automatically.

Bill J.

quote:

w-jam, what i do is run the 2 analog audio outs to the vcr/tv audio ins, then run the tv variable audio outs to the receiver's 2 TV analog audio inputs. looks like your 3300 has one coax dig jack so my guess is u connected that to the digital audio out of your box & u should then assign that jack to the tv as long as your 3300 allows that. then hopefully your 3300 will auto receive whether it's a digital or analog signal or it has an analog/digital (a/d) switch under TV on the remote to allow u to choose (mine has that latter).

------------------

Bill James

w-jam, yea i started thinking that your 3300 handles it like my sony (not saying the sony sounds as good though Biggrin.gif). that auto digital input selection works fine. guess u have your dvdp then hooked to optical, so to switch the sound to say dvdp, u would switch the box to an analog channel & whalla it should switch auto to the optical dvdp if that's sending a signal.

u just have to connect the analog audio outs of the box

to like your 2 audio inputs on your TV. then u should be set & even dolby surround (prologic) programs should sound pretty good.

& to add you'll need a dual (stereo) plug connect from your box 2 audio outs to your 2 TV analog audio inputs.

& i use the box's s-video out to the receiver TV s-video in. get the receiver on-screen display & much better picture that way when the receiver's switched to tv.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-17-2001 at 12:49 PM

Hi Boa, I think I solved my problem. I disconnected the cables from the TV to the Denon and re-connected those cables to the SAE cable box. I also found out that to have stereo sound on the analog channels, my VCR has to be on. This makes sense the DACs in the receiver does not know what to do with the analog channels so I get analog sound. So here is how things are hooked up now:

Audio cables

Digital cable from the SAE to coaxial input on the receiver -- receives digital output from the SAE

Analog outputs from the SAE to analog inputs on the receiver -- receives analog stereo output from the SAE

VCR analog connected to an analog inputs on receiver --receives analog output from the VCR.

Thanks for your help

Bill J.

quote:

Originally posted by willjam:

Thanks Boa, I have the digital cable connected as you described. I do not have any connections between my VCR and the SAE 2000. My TV is connected to the DBS/TV on my receiver. I get digital playback just fine when it is available. However, a analog program sounds like it is in mono and coming out of the left speaker. I also here a swift to the center speaker occasionally. I have no controls on the remote that allows me to switch between digital and analog. The receiver is set to AUTO, so it does this automatically.

Bill J.

------------------

Bill James

I took the plunge. I now have the upgraded SAE 3100! Still just has dig coax and S-video (no component). I am truely impressed with 45 channels of music. It sounds very good. I have about 100 dig channels (including 45 music) and the other 84 are analog sound. I am having an issue with the analog sound, but I haven't completed the trial and error motions yet. I have the analog RCA outs going into the TV from the SAE and then the analog RCA outs from the TV going into my AVR7000. I really have to turn up the volume on the 7000 to get to listening level. I have to turn it up so loud that I am afraid of accidently changing the input on the 7000's remote and then my wife would come home and find me plastered to the rear wall. I have tried raising the TV and SAE volume, that hasn't worked. If my wife would just watch

TV with the sound coming out of the 7000 this would not be a problem, but noooo. I will play with it some more. And I have cable modem coming on 6/29. I am going to be so lost not having to stare at a screen for five minutes as a site loads.

JT

d-man, lol yea changing those inputs can be an eye opener at times cwm35.gif that's happened to me a few times going from an inactive to an active one w/ the volume near 0db.

1st thing i can think of - does your avr have a preamp level control for the analog inputs?

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

D-man, you might try adjusting the volume on your VCR when in analog mode. I found that I can adjust the volume in analog mode using my VCR or TV remote, however this does not affect the volume on the digital side. I have to use my receiver remote to adjust the volume for the digital output. When I switch between analog and digital my volume is left as it was set previously.

Bill J.

quote:

Originally posted by willjam:

Hi Boa, I think I solved my problem. I disconnected the cables from the TV to the Denon and re-connected those cables to the SAE cable box. I also found out that to have stereo sound on the analog channels, my VCR has to be on. This makes sense the DACs in the receiver does not know what to do with the analog channels so I get analog sound. So here is how things are hooked up now:

Audio cables

Digital cable from the SAE to coaxial input on the receiver -- receives digital output from the SAE

Analog outputs from the SAE to analog inputs on the receiver -- receives analog stereo output from the SAE

VCR analog connected to an analog inputs on receiver --receives analog output from the VCR.

Thanks for your help

Bill J.

------------------

Bill James

w-jam, i run the analog audio connects from the sae thru the vcr line ins/outs to the tv ins & from the tv variable audio outs to the receiver tv ins.

this way i get sound from the tv when the receiver is off & better sound to the vcr when i tape something.

also, then only need one analog connect to the receiver.

many different ways, prefs & equipment though. f.e., to use my tv's picture in picture, i have to use the vcr line jacks. so i don't change channels on the vcr.

how's your vcr connected/getting it's audio signal?

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-25-2001 at 01:17 AM

Holy cables Batman!!

I think I have my volume problem fixed for now. I was using both the volume from the SAE and the TV. I just turned the volume up all the way up on the SAE and then use the line level (not variable) audio outs on the TV. This way I can turn the volume all the way off on the TV without lowering the volume through the AVR. I use the analog input from the TV for VID 1 on the AVR with the dig coax as VID 2, the VCR is VID3, and the VID 4 is used for video camera playback. DVD has its own setting. I never thought I would be using five video sources (really four SAE/TV analog and SAE digital are the same unit). The thing that bugs me is the channels from 100 up have digital sound and the chennels below 99 have analog sound. I didn't think this was the norm with digital cable. It does end up helping me, because I don't need the the second SAE in the spare room to get the regular channels. I am pretty happy with the digital music channels. They have a nice variety and a decent play list.

Happy listening and enjoy all!

JT

i think running the a/v patch from the cable box thru the line in/out of the vcr is a good idea. that way you have video tape play and analog cable going to 1 input...less switching to do, plus best pix/sound to and from the vcr. if you have a s-video out, tie that in w/ a digital in on your receiver, then monitor out (s) to tv. if i missed something that would not make this apply, sorry!, but i think the cable box-to-vcr-to-receiver a/v patch is a good idea. avman.