HT/Audio Setup Please give some advice

Shiplemw1

My goal over the summer is to upgrade my ht/audio setup and from what I've listened to I have a couple different routes:

I like the sound of the klipsch RF-3 and RB-5 speakers but I have yet to hear the RC-3 center channel. I am thinking of going with either the RF-3 or RB-5 along with an RC-3 center as a starter for my hometheater/audio system. My only problem is that I like my music loud in all respects and with bass. I've listened to the onkyo 676 and the Harman Kardon avr-510 (I like the 510 a lot better from my listening at circuit city but I know I needto listen at a real audio store). I also like the specs of the denon 3801 and I've heard the marantz sr-7000 and a couple of yamahas (model numbers unknown) and like them also and most are in the price range of the hk and onkyo. For surrounds I have a set of klipsch pro-medias v.2.400 and use their sub for lfe sounds.

My other option is the following:

Cerwin-vega's 15" 3-way mains

unknown center channel

pro-media v.2.400 for surrounds and sub

yamaha m-80 power amp

a receiver from above

Option 3:

Synergy system 6

(sounds cool but I don't think it has the power handling ability for what I want).

Keep in mind that this system will have to last me through college in the dorm. I would say that my listening needs are 50/50 audio/ht. My listening room is about 12 x 12 x 11.5(ceiling)with a 7 x 9 entry way, concrete block construction, drywall walls.

I don't know if I can provide any more information. I want to get the center and mains along with the receiver this summer but I don't want to spend too much on them (college student remember). I'll be trying out receivers probably the next month, does anyone know of a good denon dealer in eastern central indiana? I appreciate all the help anyone can provide, thanks alot,

mike

I think your option #1 is a good. Just one thingstay the hell away from Circuit City. Nothing they sell is any where close to high end.

Example: Sony Receivers

Entry level: DE Line

Mid-level: DB Line

High End: ES Line

Circuit City sells the middle receivers in Sony's entry-level line receivers. But the prices go up to about $600. The best Sony receiver sold at Circuit City is not even the bottom unit in the DB line.

Also the sales people there are poorly trained and they are (in my opinion) just there for the commission.

I know in higher end stereo shops the sales people are also there just for the money, but at least they are trained.

There is certainly a purpose for chains like Circuit City, but I highly recommend going there well informed. Especially before you make a purchase!

ship, i'd listen in true a/b fashion to the denon & the marantz w/ klipsch rf-3. if u like the sound of the marantz better, then decide if u like that better enough to give up the 6.1 capability of the denon.

also compare the remotes.

also, a plus for the marantz is the 3 year warranty.

imo, either of those & the rf-3 would be a great starter sys for years of use & enjoyment.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I have the onkyo 676. It is a very nice receiver.

Specialy the DSP modes, just the one you need nothing more. Like the 5 ch Stereo.

In any way you need to be carefull in the volume control with the RF-3's. Previous I had a Sony 930 receiver. I could not set the desired volume. It was eather to high or to low not to mention the lowest volume for background music. Conclusion be carefull in choosing a receiver with the RF-3's. Check intensively the volume control.

The onkyo 676 has no problem in this area. It has a nice digital speed sensitive volume controler.

----------------

Onkyo 676

Pioneer DV-525

Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3