I want to do a 7.1 system for about 3 grand

I have never built a HT before, and I very much a newbie.

So far I have picked out these parts ( I have not bought anything yet)

SVS PB2-ISD ~$900.00 (dual 12in 600watt amp)

RSX-5 ~$150.00 (75 watts continuous, 300 peak)

RCX-4 ~$200.00 (75 watts continuous, 300 peak)

which leaves me about a grand for a receiver/preamp processor and amp

Also, I need to figure out some wall mounts for the rear speakers, I know the promedia ones are cheap and if they fit these then thats perfect.

I cant the big boy speakers because I dont have that kind of money, nor will my 30x17 room permit it, well... even if it will, my neighbors wont, lol.

I would like to ask the experts here what is the appropriate receiver or amp I can get for this approach? I looked at some of those Aragons and though they elite, the price doest.

i am not familiar with the rsx's, but i do know your room size is more than enough for the big boy speakers, svs is a great starting point, but i do believe everything else you mentioned will be small in comparison, do not worry so much about noise/neighbors, with klipsch you really dont need to blast to sound good-great, small speaks give just that, small sound, what am i getting at? spend some time on e bay, ill bet you can get big boy speaks (heritage) for around the same money12.gif

I'll try searching ebay. I must admit I like the design of the smaller speakers (no im a bo$e fan but I have the promedia 2.1s and 5.1s and though they are small, they still fill a good sized room . I have heard real TH and I know how impressive it can be, I would be very interested in a review of he RX speakers because after all, they are a lot less and they still carry the reference name (must be a reason for this)

yeah, the waveradio sounds really nice, and i would even consider getting one for an alarm, the I noticed the price.. I COULD get a PM 5.1 ULTRA SYSTEM for less money, there IS NO WAY IN HELL that a waveradio is better then EVEN A pm GMX 2.1 give me a break BO$E!

anyway, i really want to check out the RX speakers, but they are so new, no one sells em nor can i find any rewviews, I guess i'll have to wait for theears to buy em, =P

Also, I am very confused about the difference of a receiver and a preamp processor like the aragon stage one. I would like a 7.x receiver.

also, if i get a receiver, do i need more AMPS, I have never done hometheater, but i know speakers need clean power to work correctly, I just hope the power doest cost more then the speakers.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 1:55:36 AM 007 wrote:

I cant the big boy speakers because I don’t have that kind of money, nor will my 30x17 room permit it, well... even if it will, my neighbors wont, lol.

I would like to ask the experts here what is the appropriate receiver or amp I can get for this approach? I looked at some of those Aragons and though they elite, the price doest.

----------------

First, your 30x17 foot room is plenty large enough for the "big boy" speakers. I got all that Reference 7 junk crammed into a 14x14 foot room! - about half the size of what you got available! Also, as others said, don't worry about the neighbors. Those big speakers sound plenty good enough at lower volumes. You really don't need to crank them up.

However that being said, I have actually seen the RCX and RSX speakers when I was at the Klipsch HQ in Indianoplis just this past June (see the attached photograph), although I did not get to hear them. They do look like they will be some very nice speakers and I think they will serve your purposes very nicely, since you did indicate that you did not want the big speakers. As for mounting them on the wall - Call Klipsch tech-support and see what they recommend.

However given your $3000 budget, you can easily get some of the smaller floor standers (such as the RF-25s and the matching surrounds), or as already been indicated, get used Heritage off of Ebay.

About the subwoofer - go with the SVS. Everthing I have seen and heard says that PB2-ISD will easily blow away the KSW-15, both in quality and quantity of bass output.

And for the reciever. Don't even waste your time looking at the Aragon stuff - that is way out of your league. That Stage One preamp is something like $3,000 right there, and that does not even include the amplification. By the time you get the full Aragon suite of pre/pro and amps - you will be looking at nearly $10,000 worth of gear!

For your $800-$1000, I would suggest you look at Denon, H/K, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, or even Outlaw Audio to name a few. I personally have a Denon AVR3802, which I find works very well with my RF-7s. The Denon AVR3803 is now the current version of that reciever and should be within your budget. The H/K AVR-525 is another good reciever worth checking out. I don't know what the Marantz model would be in your budget.

post-3829-13819249051456_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 9/6/2003 7:58:23 PM 007 wrote:

good tips, hey if i get a Denon , will i need more amp's after that, or is that enough to power each speaker by itsself?

----------------

I know the Denon AVR3803 has 7 channels at something like 110 watts each. That will be plenty to drive what you are planning on getting.