Just saw Open Range on the big screen

boomac

I havn't been to the big screen much in the past 25 years. I bet less than 10 movies. Went tonight and saw Open Range and really enjoyed it. The place had this stadium seating with drink holders on every seat. Anyway, there were only 8 people in the theater for the 10:00PM show. No talking, coughing or jumping up and down. I thought it was a great movie with dandy sound. Should be a good one for HT. Costner isn't the greatest actor but he makes a heck of a cowboy and I think he did an excellent job directing. DuVall was, as usual, the best. Anybody else see it?

My wife and I saw it a couple weeks ago. Excellent movie, we really enjoyed it. I'll be adding it to my collection when it comes out on DVD. The big gunfight sounded awesome, should sound even better at home. You're right Robert Duvall was great, reminded me of when he played Gus in Lonesome Dove.

I agree it was a very good flick. It also seems that you saw it in a good setting.

Boy, things do change. The worst experience I had was viewing Jaws II at a big theater in downtown Chicago in the first run. Members of the audience were talking back at the action on the screen. One gentleman shouted, "Watch out, Jaws gonna take a chomp out of you." Stuff like that makes one think about home theater. But now we only have to worry about cell phone calls.

I'm not sure how some of these theaters make money. A few years ago I saw "Murder at 1600" at the auxillary theater at Grouman's Chinese theater in Hollywood. There were three of us in the theater seating 2000.

But back to the subject. It seems to me that a lot of actors are always the same. Duval's personality was certainly suited for the part and he eclipsed all the others. Old, tough, homespun, measued in response, wise. (I must practice.)

Kosten was good. However, the plot required that he was the "lethal weapon" left over from the Civil War. With his otherwise pleasing personality and high hoars voice, it didn't quite work.

I think Kosten hit his mark with Dances with Wolves. That was more in keeping with his persona.

Gil

Gil, I agree that it wasn't Costner's best acting but he did look the part. You could sense the Lonsome Dove influence through out the entire movie. DuVall was Gus all over and of course, there was the bar scene. Costner tried to talk with that "matter if fact tone" and it lacked consistency but I think he did a pretty good job directing. Benning was quite good in her role. Baxter, the ranch boss sounded like Fat Bastard (ala Austin Powers) at times.

I figure to wait till the movie has been out for a while. Go mostly on a weeknight and go to the late show. I really hate interruptions. A cell phone ringing would cause me to get cranky as heck. I hate the darn things anyway. Why do people want to be so accessable? I better shut up as that stuff pays a lot of the bills around here. (Wife at the BELL for 33 years.) My brother saw The Exorcist at, I think, the old Fox Theater in Phila. He said people were laughing. I saw it on a weekday in Milwaukee and everybody was scared to death. Including me. No way to deal with the super natural! HT is where it's at but once in a while a trip to the big movie is worth it.