To toe in or not to toe in a pair of Belles?

Rudy81

The room is my HT, which I also use for 2-ch listening. The Belles are the mains, 11' apart on center. My seat is centered between the two and 11' back from the CL of both speakers. Currently, they are toed in about 15 degrees. I can't toe them in any more due to their location.

Well that shoots my recomendation down the tubes !! I'm in a similar setup but smaller area. I started with my Lascalas with extreme toe in so they fired directly in front of me I slowly lessoned the toe in as the imaging and soundfiled improved I kept going until it deminished. I ended up with them firing just a hair outside my ears which just about puts me in a prefect triangle of 9'. The imaging is and overall sound is incredible !!

Craig

Overall, I'm satisfied, but am always looking to improve things. My seating and speaker placement are fixed due to the HT and room size limitations. I have a 100" screen between them, so can't move them in any more.

My last option was to play with the toe in.

Problem is, those things are not easy to move around on a carpet.

After reading some Dope From Hope articles concerning toe-in, Paul Klipsch recommends quite a bit of toe in for his speakers. He addresses Imaging and other stereo characteristics. I followed his suggestions and toed in about 45 degrees, right at the listener and moved the speakers to the very corners.

This made a significant improvement. The interesting thing, is that the sweet spot widened when I did this, instead of narrowing.

I am much happier with this set up.

I have mine on a 16' wall with my sofa 12.5 feet back from the wall. The Belle's are toed in so they point at the two outside seats of the 8' sofa, just outside the center seat. I also have about 10' behind my sofa to the rear wall, which I believe also makes a difference. After months of playing around, I found this the best for my room.

You can see pics if you look at my link below.

Before I got my Khorns, I had Belles. They were placed in corners along a 21' wall. My listening seat is about 13' back from the front wall. After playing around, I found the best sound with the Belles firing a tad to the outside of each ear, ie, the on-axis intersection was a foot or two behind my head. The corner placement also firmed up the bass a bit.

It's funny, I have noticed many comments by others telling people to move the speakers away from the corners. This contradicts what PWK describes as optimum setup. My room has some acoustic problems due to it's location on the second floor. The right side has a sloping ceiling next to the right speaker. This causes a slight emphasis on the right side. I have treated the room well with acoustic absorbers and tube traps. Most frequencies are controlled and there is very little flutter echo and a great reduction in standing waves, particularly bass frequencies. I am waiting on some egg crate sound absorbers for the sloped ceiing, hoping to tame the right speaker emphasis.

After further listening, I'm still amazed at the difference the 45 degree toe in has made. Imaging and stage depth have greatly improved. While playing some vocal tracks I switched from Stereo to Dolby PL II and there is a very minimal difference with the center channel switched on and off.

I've had my Belles since 1988 and can't beleive I'm just now getting around to finding this setup as optimal. Thanks to Justin for the Dope from Hope articles on Toe in.

All your inputs are appreciated.

BTW, any suggestions on favorite tracks for determining good imaging? I have been using some Frank Sinatra and Fleetwood Mac tracks to evaluate the imaging.