I'm gonna buy myself a Christmas present:

kenratboy

At work today (Target), Christmas stuff was going out today (I know, WAY WAY WAY too early) and it got me thinking that Christmas is not THAT far away (wait, it is...)

Anyway, I was thinking about it and I decided that I should buy MYSELF something REALLY nice for Christmas. I got to thinking and I decided that a new receiver would probably be my best bet. My speakers would enjoy better power than they are currently getting (retail price at Circuit City for my front three was over $550 back in 1998, they are not trash, they got great print reviews), I need some more power to really get my speakers singing (ESPECIALLY with 5-channels going, I have to push it too hard), and, well, TOY!!! I have not purchased anything 'fun' for myself for, well, over a year, if not longer (my subwoofer, actually, that was almost 2 years ago!)

Also, to rationalize the purchase, if I bought the receiver, I could actually start thinking about buying some Klipsch Reference gear, as I would have a amp that would actually do it justice (I have no doubt my current receiver would do anything BUT make RF-35's shine, it would be a waste of money to have those $1,000 speakers and a cheap receiver.) As it is, I am just going to be doing 5.1, let alone 7.1 (all the receivers I am looking at have 7.1), so I would have some future-proofing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The choices? I am aiming for $600. Well, the new Sony ES STR-DA1000ES is VERY nice looking. I am in the camp that if you buy the lowest model in a series, you will be inheriting a lot of the stuff from the big brothers, so your $600 amp is a $1000 amp with a few resistors changed around, and a few in/out jacks missing. Also, the Denon AVR-2803 is definitely in the running, and if the 2804 comes out, maybe even more so, but they are $800 and that is way too expensive. I will NOT consider the 3803, as it is WAY too expensive (In 5 years, I will get the 3804, 5, 6...)

I will be purchasing from an authorized dealer. I will do something local if I can, hopefully a local shop. If all else fails, Crutchfield has never let me down. I need to do this through an authorized dealer because I cannot afford to have a $600 receiver die, as I couldnt replace it. Also, I would like to establish a relationship with an audio store.

What other receivers should I consider?

Why? You already have a Sony, don't repeat the same mistake twice! Now, I have a Sony too and I hate my choice back when I bought it. It may be a fine receiver, has 2 multi channel inputs, but the amplification is piss-poor. My next upgrade (deffinitely this Christmas) will be a separate amplifier, either B&K or H/K. I think in your case you will mostly benefit from a separate amp. Look into some used H/K, PA4000 for example is $899 MSRP, so I am guessing it can be found for about $600.

Look at the Outlaw 1050. Its a great amp with stellar reviews and best of all, they don't sell through retailers so there's no mark-up in the price. The 1050 sells for $500 at outlaw.com - here's the link...http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/1050.html

Also check out their cables and ICs. They are cheap (in comparison) and well regarded. Have fun, Bryan